- Title: Jubilant Man U fans claim soccer victory and defeat of terror
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: ****WARNING CONTAINS PROFANITY*** JUBILANT FANS OUTSIDE THE FAN ZONE AFTER THE GAME CELEBRATING AND LIFTING TEE-SHIRTS UP (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAN SAYING: "Definitely more than just a trophy tonight. Feels great, but it was more than a trophy, definitely. The emotion, you could feel it all around. It was amazing. What a result." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAN SAYING: "We did it for Manchester, I know for a fact they did. I know for a fact they did, for the people that one." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAN SAYING: "ISIS or whoever have done nothing. They have achieved nothing. All they've achieved is prove how evil they are. And we are here tonight and we are celebrating and we have won. Whether Ajax had won or United had won, football has won. The freedom of the world has won." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAN SAYING: "Considering what happened on Monday, Manchester has claimed what we are." VARIOUS OF FANS OUTSIDE THE FANZONE SHOUTING "MANCHESTER, MANCHESTER"
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 23:42
- Keywords: attack celebrations match football Manchester
- Location: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: MANCHESTER, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036I7A24N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: ONE USE OF PROFANE LANGUAGE CAN BE HEARD IN BACKGROUND ON SHOT 21
Thousands of Manchester United fans at a venue near Old Trafford celebrated their team's 2-0 win over Ajax in the Europa League final in Stockholm on Wednesday (May 24).
There were wild cheers, flag waving and beer-throwing as Man U took the trophy.
Jubilant fans said it was not only a sporting victory, but a victory over terrorism after Monday night's suicide bombing.
"Whether Ajax had won or United had won, football has won. The freedom of the world has won," said one man.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None