- Title: Stone-lifting strongmen compete for championship title in Bavaria
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: AUDIENCE CLAPPING STRONGMAN CHALKING HANDS (SOUNDBITE) (German) STRONGMAN, THOMAS HASELSTEINER, SAYING IN ANSWER TO QUESTION WHETHER STRENGTH OR TECHNIQUE IS MORE IMPORTANT: "Technique, without a doubt. Where you stand, how you grip and lift, it's all a question of training. But for the strong athletes lifting over a metre, how well you do is a matter of brute strength." (SOUNDBITE) (German) STRONGMAN, FRANZ RITZER, SAYING WHEN ASKED IF HE EATS TRADITIONAL BAVARIAN DISHES: "No, at the beginning of the preparation in February all this heavy food goes out of the window. You make sure to eat a lot of protein and carbohydrates, good nutritious stuff, no sweet things and no alcohol, that's all out of the question." VARIOUS OF OX BEING ROASTED ON SPIT WAITRESS CARRYING TRAY OF TRADITIONAL ROAST PORK AND DUMPLINGS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE EATING (SOUNDBITE) (German) SPECTATOR, ROBERT STACHHUBER, SAYING: "Father's Day isn't the most important aspect. The children enjoy it, but for me Father's Day is less important than Ascension Day. For me today is a public holiday when we go to church, eat some decent food, go for a walk and then drink coffee. That's our public holiday and Father's Day." PEOPLE EATING
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 16:24
- Keywords: father's day Bavaria championship weightlifting stone-lifting strongmen
- Location: GRAFING, GERMANY
- City: GRAFING, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Sport,Weightlifting
- Reuters ID: LVA0036IC4CIH
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Strongmen from across the Alpine regions of Bavaria, Lower Austria and Switzerland sweated it out in the German town of Grafing on Thursday (May 25), hoping to be crowned winner of the International Alpine Championship in stone-lifting.
More than 25 competitors took turns hefting a 254kg block of concrete, with the aim of lifting it as high into the air as they could.
Spectators packed into a crowded beer hall to urge the competitors on while tucking into traditional Bavarian dishes like roast pork washed down with plenty of beer.
The traditional contest took place on Ascension Day, which is when Germany also celebrates Father's Day. The best lift of the day was performed by German champion Andreas Altmann.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None