- Title: Israeli police remove protesters and onlookers ahead of Jerusalem day march
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMEN PHYSICALLY REMOVING PROTESTERS AT DAMASCUS GATE AHEAD OF JERUSALEM DAY MARCH ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMEN SPEAKING TO YOUTH BORDER POLICEMEN SEARCHING YOUTH'S BAG BORDER POLICEMEN REMOVING PEOPLE FROM DAMASCUS GATE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI POLICE SPOKESPERSON, MICKY ROSENFELD, SAYING: "The Israeli police are in and around the different areas of the old city, heightening the security for today's celebrations. More than 50-60 thousand people are scheduled to take place in the celebrations of Jerusalem. 50 years celebrations, 60 thousand people will make their way inside the old city to the Western wall and police units are in the different areas in order to respond to any types of incidents. At the moment, we are making sure that the areas are clear and open so that the parade can take place according to the security measures." VARIOUS OF BORDER POLICEMEN MOVING PEOPLE, DRAGGING PEOPLE AWAY BY THE NECK ISRAELIS CELEBRATING JERUSALEM DAY AT DAMASCUS GATE BY WAVING ISRAELI FLAGS AND SINGING PALESTINIANS CHANTING 'ALLAHU AKHBAR' NEAR GATE ISRAELIS CLAPPING AND SINGING VARIOUS ISRAELI BORDER POLICEMEN SHOVING PALESTINIAN PROTESTERS FROM SCENE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 15:36
- Keywords: Damascus gate Palestinians Jerusalem day Israeli police
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I76E6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Israeli police manhandled protesters and onlookers away from the Damascus Gate ahead of the annual Jerusalem Day march to the Western Wall on Wednesday (May 24).
Security around the Old City of Jerusalem was heightened ahead of the event to commemorate the establishment of Israeli control over the city after the 1967 six-day war. After the protesters were removed by border police a group of Israelis moved into the area, singing, clapping and waving Israeli flags.
Israel seized East Jerusalem and the West Bank from Jordan in 1967 and later annexed East Jerusalem and declared the whole of Jerusalem as its capital in a move not recognised internationally.
Palestinians want East Jerusalem to be the capital of the state they aspire to establish in the occupied West Bank and in the Gaza Strip.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None