- Title: France's state of emergency to be extended - prime minister
- Date: 24th May 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MAY 24, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE PRESIDENTIAL PALACE VARIOUS FRENCH AND EUROPEAN UNION FLAGS TIED WITH BLACK RIBBONS AS A SIGN OF MOURNING FOR THE VICTIMS OF MANCHESTER ATTACK FRENCH PRIME MINISTER EDOUARD PHILIPPE, WALKING TO PODIUM FOLLOWED BY JUSTICE MINISTER FRANCOIS BAYROU, INTERIOR MINISTER GERARD COLLOMB, FOREIGN MINISTER AND MINISTER FOR EUROPE JEAN-YVES LE DRIAN, GOVERNMENT SPOKESMAN CHRISTOPHE CASTANER AND MINISTER OF ARMED FORCES SYLVIE GOULARD (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRIME MINISTER, EDOUARD PHILIPPE, SAYING: "Reinforced security instructions were given to the police commissioner. The state of emergency, which was extended in particular to preserve our democracy, ensuring the smooth process of the presidential and legislative elections, will be in effect until July 15. The president of the Republic has asked us this morning to prepare an extension of this state of emergency. This extension will be limited to the necessary time it takes for the examination of a draft legislation." PHILIPPE SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRIME MINISTER, EDOUARD PHILIPPE, SAYING: "This attack should comfort us in our determination to remain extremely mobilised and intensify our security cooperation in terms of the fight against terrorism. The United Kingdom and France are fighting the same enemy in the Levant within the international coalition formed against Daesh, and on their respective territories tracking Islamist-influenced terrorists." PHILIPPE SPEAKING (SOUNDBITE) (French) FRENCH PRIME MINISTER, EDOURARD PHILIPPE, SAYING: "The terrorist threat brought by Daesh (Arabic acronym for Islamic State) and al-Qaeda remain in Europe and particularly in our two countries at a very high level. It rests upon the encouragement of their members living in each country to commit isolated acts, and upon the infiltration into France or Europe of operations transmitted from the Levant to make up terrorist units." LE DRIAN LEAVING AFTER CABINET MEETING COLLOMB AND GOULARD LEAVING AFTER CABINET MEETING EXTERIOR OF ELYSEE PALACE
- Embargoed: 7th June 2017 12:34
- Keywords: Manchester state of emergency France Edouard Philippe
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Defence,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016I77PL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe told journalists following a government meeting on Wednesday (May 24) that France's state of emergency will be extended further than July 15 as originally planned.
This was French President Emmanuel Macron's second meeting with his ministers since the government's formation.
Philippe said the country's state of emergency would be extended to November 1 since being implemented after the November 2015 attacks in Paris.
Philippe highlighted France's solidarity with Britain in terms of security and said it would assist Britain as much as possible in their investigations into the recent Manchester Arena attacks.
More than 230 people have died in France in the past two years at the hands of attackers allied to the militant group Islamic State, whose strongholds in Syria and Iraq are being bombed by an international coalition including France.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None