- Title: Young person killed as clashes rage in Zulia
- Date: 25th May 2017
- Summary: TEAR GAS OR SMOKE COMING OUT OF A BUILDING WHERE CANISTER WAS FIRED AND CAUGHT ON FIRE HOLE IN THE WINDOW WHERE TEAR GAS CANISTER LANDED VARIOUS INTERIOR OF APARTMENT WHERE TEAR GAS CANISTER LANDED HOLE IN WINDOW FROM TEAR GAS CANISTER
- Embargoed: 8th June 2017 17:48
- Keywords: Nicolas Maduro crisis opposition death injured
- Location: ZULIA, VENEZUELA
- City: ZULIA, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0056IC8H1J
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT INCLUDES GRAPHIC IMAGES OF INJURED PROTESTERS BLEEDING
A 24-year-old accountant became one of the latest victims of ongoing violence that has consumed Venezuela in recent weeks, bring the death toll from protest-related clashes to 56.
Adrian Duque was killed during raging clashes in the northwestern state of Zulia on Wednesday (May 24). He was unresponsive when rushed to the Chiquinquira Hospital where doctors found a small unidentified object lodged in his abdomen.
Authorities said it is not clear who is responsible for firing the object that killed Duque.
His sister Andrea, said he had been committed to the demos.
Duque died as clashes continued for hours, starting in the afternoon and extending well into the night.
Parents rushed their children out of school amid a haze of tear gas.
The ongoing protests come as the pro-government electoral council said on Tuesday (May 23) that voting for a controversial "constituent assembly" would be held in July and delayed state elections in December.
Maduro foes countered that was a sham designed to confuse Venezuelans, and to prompt infighting among the opposition and allow the unpopular leftist government to dodge free and fair elections they would likely lose.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None