- Title: French director Ozon plays with psycho-sexual thriller genre at Cannes
- Date: 26th May 2017
- Summary: CANNES, FRANCE (MAY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR, FRANCOIS OZON, SAYING: "The fact that it is a thriller, an erotic thriller, of course there were references to film makers, and I'm a Brian De Palma fan, I'm a Hitchcock fan, so it's true that there's a kind of alignment, and I like the way De Palma deconstructs the thriller and how he has fun, and I tried in a similar way to play with the codes of genres in this film." VARIOUS OF NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR, FRANCOIS OZON, SAYING, WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE AMOUNT OF MOVIES HE MAKES: "I like to film, it's a pleasure to make films, I have a lot of director friends who suffer enormously, who need more time, this is my rhythm, as long as I have pleasure and as long as I have the possibility to film, producers to support me, financial backing, and things to say, I will continue to make films. It's true that what is interesting is to go in several directions, it's true that I'm a versatile director, I don't like repeating myself, I think there are themes that re-occur in films but each time I try to experiment with something new and develop certain themes but in a different genre." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) ACTRESS, MARINE VACTH, SAYING, WHEN ASKED ABOUT THE EROTICISM IN THE FILM: "I acted literally, in the realism of the situation, so I didn't distinguish... I played everything literally. And with regards to the erotic side it's Francois." OZON SAYING: "It's also partly you. It's both of us." VACTH: "The sex or love scenes, in general, are choreographed, we prepare, we know what we're going to do, they're more like a stunts than anything else when we do it, and we laugh a lot, what you see and what's done - sometimes there's a gulf." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (French) DIRECTOR, FRANCOIS OZON, SAYING: "I find it very beautiful, something I'd never seen in that way, because as a boy you don't go into gynaecology clinics, so it's true that I'm a curious boy, so I wanted to know what was going on - for women I think it's more frequent - and I found it beautiful to start with those shots." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SIGN FOR CANNES FESTIVAL
- Embargoed: 9th June 2017 17:24
- Keywords: Marine Vacth FranÃ§ois Ozon Cannes Amant Double
- Location: CANNES, FRANCE
- City: CANNES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0046IH7ZGT
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: TRAILER CLIP CONTAINS NUDITY
Critics at the Cannes Film Festival had a field day on Friday with "L'Amant Double" (The Double Lover), the latest movie from prolific French director Francois Ozon.
The story of a young woman who has an affair with her psychiatrist and then his twin brother delivers lots of sex and even more Freudian symbolism in a film that Ozon said borrowed some of the styles of Alfred Hitchcock, Brian De Palma and David Cronenberg.
Far from the intellectual fare that usually wins at Cannes, "L'Amant Double" is a romp that the Guardian's Peter Bradshaw called "a wildly dated-looking and derivative film, a quaint adventure in fantasised naughtiness" that might become a "camp classic".
Ozon himself said he had fun pushing the boundaries of the erotic thriller genre that he has visited before in films such as the 2003 movie "Swimming Pool" that also competed at Cannes.
Ozon produces on average at least one film a year and had clearly approached "L'Amant Double" with knowing irony.
Commenting on an unforgettable image at the start of the movie, a close-up of female genitalia that suddenly becomes an eye, Ozon said:
"It's something I had never seen in that way because, as a boy, you don't do to a gynaecology clinic. I'm a curious boy."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None