- Title: Macron welcomes Putin at France's Palace of Versailles
- Date: 29th May 2017
- Summary: VERSAILLES, FRANCE (MAY 29, 2017) (REUTERS) REPUBLICAN GUARDS STANDING ALONGSIDE RED CARPET AT PALACE OF VERSAILLES COURTYARD REPUBLICAN GUARDS IN POSITION FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON WALKING ON RED CARPET VARIOUS OF MACRON WAITING ON TOP OF STEPS
- Embargoed: 12th June 2017 13:44
- Keywords: Syria Europe security Putin Macron
- Location: VERSAILLES, FRANCE
- City: VERSAILLES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016IW5G07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING / EDIT 6092-FRANCE-RUSSIA/PREVIEW CONTAINS VIDEO OF PETER THE GREAT EXHIBITION
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT WILL BE FOLLOWED BY A BROADCAST QUALITY EDIT 1145-FRANCE-RUSSIA/MACRON-PUTIN UPDATE
++ PART VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING ++
New French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed Russian President Vladimir Putin to the Palace of Versailles outside Paris on Monday (May 29), turning a new page in bilateral relations between the two countries.
Macron has promised tough talk at his first meeting with the Russian leader, following an election campaign in which his team accused Russian media of trying to interfere in the democratic process.
Macron will be showing Putin an exhibition on Russian Tsar Peter the Great at the former royal palace.
The Versailles exhibition commemorates a visit to France 300 years ago by the tsar, known for his European tastes.
Macron, who took office two weeks ago, has said dialogue with Russia is vital in tackling a number of international disputes. Nevertheless, relations have been beset by mistrust, with Paris and Moscow backing opposing sides in the Syrian civil war and at odds over the Ukraine conflict.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None