- Title: German SPD leader calls Trump a "destroyer of all Western values"
- Date: 30th May 2017
- Summary: BERLIN, GERMANY (MAY 30, 2017) (REUTERS) GERMAN FLAG ON PARLIAMENT BUILDING SEEN THROUGH WINDOW GERMAN SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) LEADER MARTIN SCHULZ ARRIVING TO SPEAK TO REPORTERS CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (German) GERMAN SOCIAL DEMOCRAT (SPD) LEADER, MARTIN SCHULZ, SAYING: "When it comes to the ideology of rearmament of Mr Trump, who is the destroyer of all Western values in a form we have never experienced: a destruction strategy regarding European values: tolerance, respect, cooperation including between countries based on mutual tolerance and respect. One must stand in the way of such a man with his ideology of rearmament." SPD SIGN SCHULZ LEAVING
- Embargoed: 13th June 2017 14:23
- Keywords: Martin Schulz Donald Trump destroyer of western values
- Location: BERLIN, GERMANY
- City: BERLIN, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016J16IIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Germany's centre-left chancellor candidate Martin Schulz on Tuesday (May 30) accused U.S. President Donald Trump of destroying Western values and undermining international cooperation.
Speaking to reporters in Berlin, Schulz said Trump was "the destroyer of all Western values", adding that the U.S. president was undermining the peaceful cooperation of nations based on mutual respect and tolerance.
"One must stand in the way of such a man with his ideology of rearmament," Schulz added.
Trump criticised Germany earlier on Tuesday for its trade surplus and military spending levels, a day after Chancellor Angela Merkel rammed home her doubts about the reliability of the United States as an ally.
In a tweet, Trump said: "We have a MASSIVE trade deficit with Germany, plus they pay FAR LESS than they should on NATO & military. Very bad for U.S. This will change."
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None