- Title: Brexit challenger says tactical voting will be 'game changer' in UK election
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK (JUNE 1, 2017) (REUTERS) PRO-EUROPEAN UNION CAMPAIGNER GINA MILLER AND LIBERAL DEMOCRAT CANDIDATE FOR VAUXHALL GEORGE TURNER POSING FOR PHOTOGRAPHS VARIOUS OF MILLER AND TURNER POSING FOR CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER OF 'BEST FOR BRITAIN', GINA MILLER, SAYING: "So what we are asking our candidates to do is two things. One is to back a meaningful vote, that's all options on the table when a negotiated deal comes back. And secondly throughout the process to ask questions, scrutinise the government and don't just give them this blank cheque. It's about the process now, it's not about undoing Brexit. It's making sure we get the best possible deal and as we say on the tin, to do what's best for Britain." VARIOUS OF MILLER AND TURNER POSING FOR CAMERAS (SOUNDBITE) (English) FOUNDER OF 'BEST FOR BRITAIN', GINA MILLER, SAYING: "We have thousands and thousands of people who are actually talking about tactical voting. On social media, we have had over 21 million impressions. So, people are getting hold of this and are really running. This will be the game changer in this election. I'm certain of it." TRAFFIC DRIVING IN FRONT OF HOUSES OF PARLIAMENT
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 18:56
- Keywords: tactical voting Best for Britain Brexit general election politics Gina Miller
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JG6UKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Gina Miller, the prominent pro-European Union campaigner, said on Thursday (June 1) her campaign to urge Britons to vote tactically in next week's election could have a significant impact.
The Best for Britain campaign is supporting pro-"Remain" candidates and running a tactical voting dashboard to spread the message in areas where tactical voting could affect the result.
The group say polls suggest about 100 of the 650 seats up for grabs in parliament which were marginal and the result could be influenced.
Polling experts, however, are sceptical about how much influence tactical voting can have.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None