- Title: Benfica say goalkeeper Ederson to join Manchester City
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: LISBON, PORTUGAL (FILE- MAY 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BENFICA CELEBRATING WINNING PORTUGUESE LEAGUE TITLE
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 16:02
- Keywords: BENFICA MAN CITY EDERSON MORAES
- Location: VARIOUS
- City: VARIOUS
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JG58VZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Brazilian goalkeeper Ederson Moraes is joining Manchester City from Benfica for 40 million euros (34.7 million pounds), the Portuguese champions said in a statement on Thursday (June 1).
The fee is close to the world record for a goalkeeper, with Juventus paying 40.2 million euros when they signed Gianluigi Buffon from Serie A rivals Parma in 2001.
There was no immediate confirmation from City, who finished third in the Premier League this season under Spanish manager Pep Guardiola.
Benfica said also that half of the fee would be paid to unidentified 'third parties', an element likely to attract Premier League scrutiny.
City failed to win any silverware this season and are set to spend heavily over the summer to remodel their squad. They have already paid Monaco a reported 43 million pounds for Portuguese midfielder Bernardo Silva.
Goalkeeping has been a particular headache for the Abu Dhabi-owned club, with England's Joe Hart sent out on loan at the start of the season and Claudio Bravo failing to convince in the role. Willy Caballero was released last Friday.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.