- Title: Special counsel Mueller to probe ex-Trump aide Flynn's Turkey ties
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES (JUNE 13, 2013) (UNRESTRICTED POOL) ROBERT MUELLER, THE DIRECTOR OF THE FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION, TAKING AN OATH AT THE START OF A HEARING OF THE U.S. HOUSE INTELLIGENCE COMMITTEE COMMITTEE MEMBERS LOOKING ON FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER TESTIFYING AT HEARING WIDE SHOT FBI DIRECTOR ROBERT MUELLER TESTIFYING AT HEARING
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 15:52
- Keywords: Trump investigation Flynn file Mueller Flynn grand jury
- Location: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES / CLEVELAND, OHIO, UNITED STATES / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: WASHINGTON, D.C., UNITED STATES / CLEVELAND, OHIO, UNITED STATES / NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0036JL6OUF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Robert Mueller, the special counsel investigating possible ties between the Trump election campaign and Russia, is expanding his probe to include a grand jury investigation into former national security adviser Michael Flynn, three sources told Reuters.
The move means Mueller's politically charged inquiry will now look into Flynn's paid work as a lobbyist for a Turkish businessman in 2016, in addition to contacts between Russian officials and Flynn and other Trump associates during and after the Nov. 8 presidential election.
Federal prosecutors in Virginia are investigating a deal between Flynn and Turkish businessman Ekim Alptekin as part of a grand jury criminal probe, according to a subpoena seen by Reuters.
Alptekin's company, Netherlands-based Inovo BV, paid Flynn's consultancy $530,000 between September and November to produce a documentary and research on Fethullah Gulen, an exiled Turkish cleric living in the United States. Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan blames Gulen for a failed coup last July.
Alptekin, an ally of Erdogan, told Reuters he hired Flynn to provide research on how Gulen is "poisoning the atmosphere" between Turkey and the United States.
Gulen has denied any role in the coup and dismisses Turkey's allegations that he heads a terrorist organization.
The grand jury in Virginia has issued subpoenas to some of Flynn's business associates involved in the work for Inovo, two people familiar with the probe say. The subpoena seen by Reuters seeks bank records, documents and communications related to Flynn, his company, Flynn Intel Group, Alptekin and Inovo.
Flynn's lawyer, Robert Kelner, did not respond to questions about Flynn's work for Inovo or Mueller's investigation. A spokesman for Mueller declined to comment.
Alptekin declined to comment when asked about the investigation into Flynn and whether he or anyone he knows has been subpoenaed.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None