- Title: UK Conservative lawmaker charged with campaign finance offence - prosecutors
- Date: 2nd June 2017
- Summary: BROADSTAIRS, KENT, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE - APRIL 7, 2015) (REUTERS) CONSERVATIVE CANDIDATE FOR SOUTH THANET, CRAIG MACKINLAY, WALKING WITH PRESS OFFICER AND A JOURNALIST VARIOUS OF MACKINLAY SPEAKING WITH LOCAL RESIDENT AT DOOR WHILE CANVASSING RAMSGATE, KENT, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BOATS IN HARBOUR, ONE BEARING CONSERVATIVE SIGNS
- Embargoed: 16th June 2017 11:20
- Keywords: UKIP Nigel Farage Kent Conservative Craig Mackinlay Charge Election Thanet
- Location: MARGATE, RAMSGATE AND BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: MARGATE, RAMSGATE AND BROADSTAIRS, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JL6153
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The British lawmaker who beat Brexit campaigner Nigel Farage in a 2015 national election battle has been charged with criminal offences related to spending on the campaign, prosecutors said on Friday (June 2), less than a week before a fresh national election.
Craig Mackinlay, 50, who is standing for re-election, was charged along with election agent Nathan Gray, 28, and aide Marion Little, 62.
The allegations related to Conservative Party expenditure during the 2015 campaign, the prosecutors said in a statement.
"We have concluded there is sufficient evidence and it is in the public interest to authorise charges against three people," the prosecutors said.
The Conservative Party said in a statement that the allegations were "unfounded".
Last month, prosecutors ruled out bringing more widespread criminal charges over allegations of expenses fraud by the Conservatives during the 2015 campaign.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None