- Title: Zidane hails team, historic moment for Real Madrid
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: CARDIFF, WALES, UK (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE WALKS INTO NEWS CONFERENCE SOUNDBITE (Spanish) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE SAYING: "What I can tell you...I don't want to say that I am very good,,,before I was scandalously bad as a coach and now I am supposed to be the best. I love football, I love to be at this great club with this great squad and we are working hard, we worked hard all season thinking that we could achieve things. In the long run, everyone has been very important in the squad and that has been the key to our success all season, there is no doubt about that." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SOUNDBITE (Spanish) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE SAYING ON HALF TIME TEAM TALK: "What I told the players was keep doing what we are doing but put a bit more attitude in your play, play in the Juve half and when you have the ball play with it. We know how to play football and the way we played the second half was spectacular. We played with a lot more mobility, first touch football, and what happened is what happened. And you saw that we scored four goals against Juventus, which is not easy to do." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SOUNDBITE (Spanish) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE SAYING: "Well I am not going to confirm that I am going to stay here all my life because that can't happen, but what I can tell you is that I am extremely grateful to this great club which has given me the opportunity to coach these great players. I have one year of my contract left and I think I will be here next year. But what I can say is really important which is to enjoy everything that we have managed to achieve this year." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SOUNDBITE (Spanish) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE SAYING: "I see a lot of work, a lot of talent, but what I see is a lot of work and that has been the key. When you think that you are going to achieve things by working and having a squad you can achieve those things. As the coach of this team I feel extremely proud, I really do, of each and everyone of the players." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS SOUNDBITE (Spanish) REAL MADRID MANAGER ZINEDINE ZIDANE SAYING ON IT BEING AN HISTORIC DAY: "There is no doubt whatsoever. As you said no one had achieved that before and we managed to do it. So you can say that today is a truly historical day. For all Madrid fans and all the players, for me, for our big family. But having said that, you know how things are. Next year is going to be even more difficult. We are going to have work very, very hard to win once again. But today we can say we are a very good team and we deserved to win La Liga and the Champions League, which was not easy to do." NEWS CONFERENCE ENDS
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 00:30
- Keywords: ZINEDINE ZIDANE CHAMPIONS LEAGUE FINAL REAL MADRID
- Location: CARDIFF, WALES, UK
- City: CARDIFF, WALES, UK
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ38LB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Cristiano Ronaldo scored twice as Real Madrid beat Juventus 4-1 in a memorable Champions League final full of attacking verve and brilliant goals on Saturday (June 3) as the Spaniards won the title for the third time in four years and 12th in all.
Portugal forward Ronaldo hit Real's first and third goals to become only the second man to score in three European Cup finals and take his career goal tally to 600 for club and country.
Few of those will have matched Mario Mandzukic's spectacular overhead equaliser for Juventus, which was eventually in vain for the Italian side who had the best of the first half before being swept aside in the second.
A long-range deflected effort by Casemiro and a neat finish by the irrepressible Ronaldo within four minutes effectively settled one of the most entertaining finals for years, with a late tap-in by substitute Marco Asensio adding the gloss.
The victory means Real are the first team to successfully defend the trophy in the Champions League era. AC Milan were the last team to retain Europe's top prize when they triumphed in 1989 and 1990.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None