- Title: Juventus coach Allegri rues lapse after second Real goal
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: CARDIFF, WALES, UK (JUNE 3, 2017) (REUTERS) JUVENTUS COACH MASSIMILIANO ALLEGRI WALKING INTO NEWS CONFERENCE NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Italian) JUVENTUS COACH MASSIMILIANO ALLEGRI, SAYING: (OFFICIAL TRANSLATION) "Well firstly let me congratulate my own boys for what they have done this season. It has been an extraordinary season, we won the Italian league, the Coppa Italia and we reached the finals of the Champions League, it's extraordinary, and so I have to thank them. It's important to get to finals and to play finals and unluckily we weren't able to win it. In the first half we played beautifully, in the second half Real Madrid pushed the accelerator and we remained too static and sat back too long. We managed to defend for around 15 minutes and then as you know football is a nightmare, you know that the (Miralem) Pjanic shot was deflected whereas Casemiro's shot was deflected into the goal. But we knew we were playing against a really strong team in the run up to the final it sounded as if Juventus were the favourites, playing against a team who were here in the final by chance, but that's not the truth. Real Madrid has important players, it's important and it's obvious that if somebody wins the Ballon D'Or and scores so many goals, obviously it's a big advantage for Real Madrid. The only criticism that I could make about my own boys was that after conceding the second goal we should have stayed in the game mentally to try and find solutions and find opportunities to equalise, they weren't able to do it and so we lost." ALLEGRI AT NEWSER ALLEGRI LEAVING NEWSER
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 23:46
- Keywords: Massimiliano Allegri Real Madrid Champions League final Juventus
- Location: CARDIFF, WALES, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: CARDIFF, WALES, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ367Z
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Juventus coach Massimiliano Allegri was full of praise for his team's performance this season after they slipped at the final hurdle on Saturday (June 3) and missed out on what would have been their first treble after winning the Italian league and cup.
Real Madrid were 4-1 victors on the night with a Cristiano Ronaldo brace ensuring the Spaniards became the first team to successfully defending the Champions League tournament.
Allegri said Real were fortunate to take the lead in the second half with a lucky deflection allowing Casemiro to put them back in the lead.
Real all but killed the game off almost immediately after with Ronaldo's second goal of the evening, capitalising on a defensive error as Juventus momentarily lost concentration.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None