- Title: Macron welcomes India's Modi at Elysee palace
- Date: 3rd June 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 3, 2017) (AGENCY POOL) FRENCH PRESIDENT EMMANUEL MACRON WAITING ON ELYSEE STEPS FOR INDIAN PRIME MINISTER NARENDRA MODI TO ARRIVE MODI ARRIVING AND GREETING MACRON / MODI AND MACRON HUGGING / MODI AND MACRON POSING STANDING FOR PICTURES ON ELYSEE STEPS AND ENTERING PALACE REPUBLICAN GUARDS STANDING ON ELYSEE STEPS
- Embargoed: 17th June 2017 11:47
- Keywords: 2015 Paris climate agreement Elysee India France Narendra Modi Emmanuel Macron
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Diplomacy/Foreign Policy,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016JQ3VIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the Elysee palace on Saturday (June 3), as both countries seek to show a united front to tackle climate change.
Modi's arrival in Paris comes after U.S. President Donald Trump announced his decision to withdraw from the 2015 Paris climate agreement and at a time when uncertainty in the European Union prevails following Britain's decision to leave the 28-nation bloc.
Ties between France and India have grown in recent years most notably in the defence sector with New Delhi ordering 36 French-made Rafale fighter jets to modernise its ageing warplane fleet.
The two are also in talks over nuclear power and renewable energy deals, although the Paris visit is not aimed at sealing contracts.
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None