- Title: London attackers kill seven, PM May says "enough is enough"
- Date: 4th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 4, 2017) (REUTERS) FORENSIC EXPERTS IN WHITE PLASTIC SUITS WALKING ON ROAD FORENSIC OFFICER WALKING FORENSIC OFFICER IN WHITE CHECKS FLOOR / JOINS OFFICER IN BLUE OVERALLS POLICE OFFICER STANDING NEAR POLICE VEHICLE / CORDONED OFF ROAD
- Embargoed: 18th June 2017 14:24
- Keywords: Theresa May police attack London Bridge London security Britain
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JV46DJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: THIS IS A HIGHLIGHTS WRAP OF EDITS THAT HAVE ALREADY MOVED. THIS EDIT DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH VIDEO.
British Prime Minister Theresa May called on Sunday (June 4) for a stronger response to Islamist extremism after three attackers drove a van into pedestrians on London Bridge and stabbed others nearby, killing seven people and injuring 48.
London's Metropolitan Police arrested 12 people in the Barking district of east London in connection with the attack and raids were continuing there, the force said.
The attack occurred five days before a parliamentary election and was the third to hit Britain in less than three months. May said the vote would go ahead as planned on Thursday.
Less than two weeks ago, a suicide bomber killed 22 children and adults at a concert by U.S. singer Ariana Grande in Manchester in northern England. In March, in an attack similar to Saturday's, five people died after a man drove into pedestrians on Westminster Bridge in central London and stabbed a policeman.
On Saturday (June 3) night, police shot dead the three male assailants in the Borough Market area near London Bridge within eight minutes of receiving the first emergency call shortly after 10 p.m. (1800 GMT).
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None