- Title: The Beatles' 'Sgt Pepper' turns 50
- Date: 1st June 2017
- Summary: MAN IN COSTUME SPINNING BATON AHEAD OF FLAG RAISING CEREMONY ABOVE CAPITOL RECORDS VIEW OF FLAG BEFORE CEREMONY VARIOUS OF FLAG RAISING CEREMONY
- Embargoed: 15th June 2017 23:42
- Keywords: Hollywood ceremony Capitol Records flag The Beatles
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION/LONDON AND LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES/UNIDENTIFIED LOCATION/LONDON AND LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Music,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0026JG7UX9
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The Beatles' "Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" album celebrated its 50th anniversary on Thursday (June 1) with a flag raising ceremony above the Capitol Records building in Hollywood.
The iconic album, which, along with the Fab Four themselves, features the images of Fred Astaire and Karl Marx amongst others on its cover, took the group 129 days to record what is now considered one of the most enduring albums of the 20th century. By comparison, their first album, "Please Please Me", had taken just 585 minutes to record.
Though "Sgt. Pepper's" doesn't rank among the 20 top-grossing albums of all time, its commercial and critical success unequivocally ushered in a new era for the long playing album format. Besides the title track, other notable songs include the South-Asian influenced "Within You Without You," the symphonic "A Day in the Life" and the call and response "With A LIttle Help From My Friends." Their follow-up in 1968, known as the White Album, is the 10th-best selling LP.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.