- Title: Iraqi forces push inside Mosul's IS-held Zanjili district
- Date: 5th June 2017
- Summary: ZANJILI DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ (JUNE 5, 2017) (REUTERS) FEDERAL POLICE MEMBERS STANDING NEAR MILITARY VEHICLES ON STREET FULL OF RUBBLE, SMOKE RISING ABOVE PLUME OF BLACK SMOKE RISING FROM BEHIND DEMOLISHED HOUSE MEMBERS OF RAPID RESPONSE UNITS STANDING NEAR HUMVEE VARIOUS OF TANK DRIVING PAST MOSQUE BUILDING ALONG STREET FULL OF RUBBLE WHITE CLOUD OF SMOKE RISING, WRECKAGE OF OVERTURNED CARS IN FOREGROUND (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) TANK DRIVING DOWN STREET FULL OF RUBBLE AND FIRING HUMVEE DRIVING PAST BLACKENED AND DAMAGED SHOPS BUILDINGS AND RUBBLE ON GROUND (AUDIO OF SNIPER BULLET) BLACK SMOKE RISING ABOVE DEMOLISHED HOUSE (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) HUMVEE SPEEDING ALONG ROAD FULL OF RUBBLE (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) FIRST LIEUTENANT IN RAPID RESPONSE DIVISION, RAMI FALAH HASSAN, SAYING: "We are advancing and the enemy is retreating. The enemy tried to hinder our advance, but all its attempts have failed. We opened safe corridors for families and wounded civilians were treated at the field hospital of the Rapid Response Division. We are now in Al Zanjili district and God willing we will complete task assigned to us soon." CAR WRECKAGE, COLUMN OF SMOKE RISING INTO SKY BEHIND (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) HUMVEE DRIVING PAST DAMAGED SHOPS AND HEAPS OF DAMAGED BRICKS (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE) WRECKAGE OF CAR AND COLUMNS OF SMOKE RISING IN BACKGROUND (AUDIO OF GUNFIRE)
- Embargoed: 19th June 2017 15:08
- Keywords: Iraqi forces push IS-held enclave Iraqi forces in Mosul
- Location: ZANJILI DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ
- City: ZANJILI DISTRICT, MOSUL, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K04A4N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Iraqi federal police forces pushed further into Mosul's al-Zanjili's district, recapturing more than half of it on Monday (June 5) as operations continued to dislodge Islamic State militants from the city.
With the recapture of Mosul's Sihha district by Iraq's Counter Terrorism Service on Friday (June 2), the enclave remaining in the hands of Islamic State, has shrunk to three districts alongside the western bank of the Tigris river, the densely populated Old City centre, part of the al-Zanjili district and the Medical City district.
The advance is part of an operation which began a week ago to oust the militants from remaining pockets in Mosul and finish off the offensive to capture the city, now in its eighth month.
As fighting in the militant-controlled al-Zanjili district intensified, hundreds of families fled the area on Saturday (June 3); some were wounded and taken to field hospitals. About 200,000 people remain trapped in the enclave fearing being caught in the fighting.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None