- Title: Mexican bartenders eye world record with massive gin and tonic pour
- Date: 6th June 2017
- Summary: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO (JUNE 5, 2017) (REUTERS) BARTENDERS LINED UP ALONG TABLE AND WAITING FOR COUNTDOWN TO START PREPARING GIN AND TONIC CLOSE-UP OF BARTENDERS STIRRING ICE HOST OF EVENT INSTRUCTING BARTENDERS BARTENDERS STIRRING GLASSES BARTENDERS POURING GIN GIN BEING POURED INTO MEASURING GLASS GIN POURED INTO GLASS VARIOUS OF TONIC POURED DOWN SPINE OF COCKTAIL UTENSIL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) EVENT ORGANISER, FABIAN GUZMAN, SAYING: "This is the easiest cocktail in the world, and one of the best. There is tonic water, gin, lemon garnish, orange garnish and of course the tools which are the strainer, a round glass and a tall spoon." BARTENDER PUTTING A SLICE OF ORANGE INTO DRINK BARTENDERS STIRRING IN INGREDIENTS BARTENDERS LINED ALONG TABLE TO STIR COCKTAIL AS THEY COUNTDOWN VARIOUS OF COCKTAILS BEING MIXED BARTENDERS CELEBRATING AFTER MAKING THEIR GIN AND TONICS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) BEEFEATER BRAND MANAGER, MARIA VICTORIA LARA, SAYING: "There is a story that the Queen of England enjoyed a Beefeater gin and tonic. And one day, one of her royal guards was not there nor her bartender that was normally in charge of preparing the recipe. That is why she asked this guard to teach his entire battalion how to prepare the recipe for the perfect Beefeater gin and tonic." BARTENDERS AT END OF MASS GIN AND TONIC PREPARATION BARTENDERS APPLAUDING
- Embargoed: 20th June 2017 04:10
- Keywords: alcohol bar pour Mexico City gin and tonic world record
- Location: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- City: MEXICO CITY, MEXICO
- Country: Mexico
- Topics: Human Interest / Brights / Odd News,Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016K520JN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of bartenders came together in Mexico City on Monday (June 5) night to beat the world record for the largest number of gin and tonics prepared simultaneously.
According to a count on the night, 300 bartenders from the capital and across Mexico were lined up and synchronised in their preparation of the centuries old cocktail. The previous Guinness record reportedly stands at 250 bartenders.
Gin and tonic is traditionally made in a highball cocktail made with gin and tonic water poured over ice. It is usually garnished with a slice of lime.
But the event in Mexico City, which was organised by Beefeater, followed the Beefeater B&T recipe which calls for a highball glass, ice, tonic, a lemon wheel and an orange wheel.
According to reports, the gin and tonic cocktail dates back to British occupied India in the 18th century when it was used to prevent and treat malaria.
Today, the initials G&T are now part of popular bar vernacular.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None