- Title: Golovkin and Alvarez promote their middleweight title fight
- Date: 19th June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 19, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** NEWS CONFERENCE PROMOTING SEPTEMBER'S MIDDLEWEIGHT TITLE FIGHT BETWEEN CANELO ALVAREZ AND GENNADY GOLOVKIN CLOSE OF CANELO NAME TAG / GOLOVKIN NAME TAG (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOXING LEGEND OSCAR DE LA HOYA, SAYING: "Canelo versus Golovkin will undoubtedly be boxing's biggest fight in 2017 with the most action, the most intensity, and the most on the line for both fighters." CLOSE OF GOLOVKIN CLOSE OF ALVAREZ (SOUNDBITE) (English) GENNADY GOLOVKIN, SAYING: "You know I think I have experience. World experience, American experience, Soviet Union experience, Kazakh experience, UK experience, Mexican-style? Yeah, my trainer is from Mexico. Mexican style is like a bonus, like an extra, Canelo is originally from Mexico, he has the same team, he's Mexican, he had a lot of experience from different boxers. Mexican-style is a bonus, it's a big gift for people, you know, like an extra. Boxing is boxing. If you have Mexican experience this is different, like a first class, like a true warrior, true fighter, not dancing, not for show, just fight, this is the experience, a bonus to fight." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS ALVAREZ AND GOLOVKIN POSING FOR MEDIA MEDIA CLOSE OF ALVAREZ AND GOLOVKIN DURING STARE-OFF (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) CANELO ALVAREZ, ON WHETHER HIS EXPERIENCE OF LOSING BEFORE UNLIKE HIS UNDEFEATED OPPONENT WORKS IN HIS FAVOUR, SAYING: "You know what, it motivates me. I didn't like the feeling and I don't want to be there again and experience that once again, so obviously for me it's a motivating factor and I never want to have to feel that again." GOLOVKIN SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (English) BOXING PROMOTER FRANK WARREN, ON MAYWEATHER AND MCGREGOR FIGHT, SAYING: "The difference between those two (Mayweather and McGregor), (Is that) these guys (Golovkin and Alvarez) are both proven boxers and they're the best out there. Floyd Mayweather is by far the best fighter of his generation - pound for pound, whatever you want to call it - the best fighter. Conor McGregor has never fought, I don't know whether he can box or not, who knows? I don't know, so what you've got is a situation where Conor McGregor is the best guy in the UFC and you've got Floyd who as I said is the best of his generation, so you're going to find out. I've got my views on who it's going to be and you're going to find out, but these guys are tried and tested as boxers. With Conor McGregor and Floyd only one of them is." GOLOVKIN TALKING TO MEDIA
- Embargoed: 3rd July 2017 17:31
- Keywords: Gennady Golovkin Canelo Alvarez Middleweight Boxing Frank Warren
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UK
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Boxing,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016LY26NZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Middleweight boxers Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin held a news conference on Monday (June 19) in London to help promote their Las Vegas title fight on September 16.
Golovkin was full of praise for Mexican boxing, saying it was a "bonus" to fighters when they box "Mexican-style".
The undefeated Kazakh, on a 37-0 record, hopes to defend an array of middleweight belts against Alvarez, whose only defeat in 51 fights came at the hands of Floyd Mayweather in 2013.
Alvarez feels tasting defeat made him even more determined not to taste it once again, seeing the experience as an advantage.
The fight is being showcased as the biggest fight of the year, but much attention has inevitably gone to the crossover fight pitting Mayweather against UFC lightweight Mixed-Martial Arts champion Conor McGregor.
Mayweather is overwhelming favourite against his opponent - who has never boxed professionally - in their Las Vegas fight on August 26.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None