- Title: France gets ready for annual music festival amid heightened security
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (JUNE 21, 2017) (REUTERS) GROUP OF POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEXT TO POLICE VANS POLICE LOOKING AT PLANS POLICE OFFICER TALKING TO COLLEAGUES POLICE VANS IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (French) 20-YEAR-OLD STUDENT, ASTRID, SAYING: "For security, I think there should of course be a minimum because it is still an event with huge attendees which could risk chaos. Then I think that in the current climate, we don't need to see them present too much, in order to celebrate the music freely, to celebrate summer." PEOPLE HAVING PICNIC NEXT TO FENCED-OFF AREA (SOUNDBITE) (French) 30-YEAR-OLD SECRETARY, ELODIE, SAYING: "Now with the current climate, I think that the current security will be hugely reinforced this evening. We see at Invalides (building and surrounding area in Paris), there are important measures set up, so that's reassuring." VARIOUS OF GUARD SURVEYING FENCED-OFF AREA (SOUNDBITE) (French) 21-YEAR-OLD PARLIAMENTARY COLLABORATOR, ERIC, SAYING: "I can see CRS (riot police) cars, barriers, security measures that have been put in place, so I think that they've taken their precautionary measures and they know what they're doing." POLICE DOG GUARD WITH DOG POLICEMAN IN STREET / BUS DRIVING PAST POLICEMAN HOLDING GUN ARMED POLICEMEN WALKING PAST CAR POLICE STANDING OUTSIDE VEHICLE WOMAN TALKING TO POLICE
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 17:20
- Keywords: Fete de la musique security Paris celebration music Christophe Castaner
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0046M83AKN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:The 36th 'Fete de la Musique', an annual one-day music festival that takes place across France, will go ahead despite several attacks on police in the past weeks but with reinforced security measures, French government spokesman Christophe Castaner said on Wednesday (June 21).
France's annual music festival, where groups play on street corners and in cafes nationwide, is set to kick off on Wednesday evening, but with 48,000 police on duty, Castaner said in a radio interview.
That number is similar to the numbers deployed during the four days of recent presidential and parliamentary elections to ward off the threat of further attacks by Islamist militants.
Festivities are set to begin later in the day and go on late into the night.
France's annual music festival takes place every year on June 21 to celebrate the summer solstice, and has been going on since 1983.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None