- Title: Britain's Queen leaves UK parliament after giving speech
- Date: 21st June 2017
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (JUNE 21, 2017) (REUTERS) BRITAIN'S QUEEN ELIZABETH GETTING INTO VEHICLE / PRINCE CHARLES GETTING INTO VEHICLE / VEHICLE DRIVING PAST QUEEN'S GUARDS / AUDIO OF BRITISH NATIONAL ANTHEM BEING PLAYED
- Embargoed: 5th July 2017 12:50
- Keywords: Britain's Queen Elizabeth Prince Charles State Opening of Parliament Brexit security police Prime Minister Theresa May
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026M812RR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:British Queen Elizabeth left the parliament after formally opening it by announcing the government's programme for the next two years on Wednesday (June 21), as Prime Minister Theresa May promised to listen more to businesses' concerns about Brexit.
What is usually a ceremonial address, dominated by costumed pageantry, has become a critical test of May's ability to run the country during its most testing period in generations.
Chastened by an election result which left her Conservative Party short of a majority in parliament, May also watered down pledges on social care reform, education, corporate governance and energy markets.
The Queen's Speech, prepared by ministers and read out by the monarch, comes at a time of unprecedented political flux, with May yet to secure a deal with Northern Ireland's Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) to prop up her government.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.