- Title: Powerful quake shakes Guatemala and El Salvador, no casualties reported
- Date: 22nd June 2017
- Summary: ANTIGUA, GUATEMALA (JUNE 22, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRE SERVICES INSPECTING DAMAGE TO BUILDING VARIOUS OF BRICKS ON STREET VARIOUS OF MUDSLIDES ON SIDE ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) RESIDENT, KARLA PATZAN, SAYING: "A very strong earthquake. We got very scared. We were in bed. We suddenly felt the movement and I got up and shouted. I called my sisters and nephews. Things were tumbling over and we got very scared. We got out (of the house) as soon as possible but thank God, it calmed down but we were very scared." WORKERS DOING REPAIRS ON SIDE OF ROAD VARIOUS OF MEN CHOPPING DOWN COLLAPSED TREES MAN CLEARING DEBRIS FROM ROOF ANTIGUA MAYOR, SUSANA ASENCIO AND CIVIL PROTECTION AUTHORITIES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ANTIGUA MAYOR, SUSANA ASENCIO, SAYING: "There are no reports of lives affected. Only one woman who was helped by rescue team. Her house was damaged on the roof and walls, with part of the wall collapsing and this was seen to." VARIOUS OF DAMAGE TO WALL VAN IN STREET DAMAGE TO WALLS CARS IN STREET CHURCH AND SQUARE
- Embargoed: 6th July 2017 21:57
- Keywords: Guatemala earthquake damage Guatemala City Antigua nerves fear panic
- Location: ANTIGUA AND GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA
- City: ANTIGUA AND GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA
- Country: Guatemala
- Reuters ID: LVA0026MD38SN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: SOCIAL MEDIA VIDEO QUALITY AS INCOMING, ORIGINALLY SHOT IN PORTRAIT
A major earthquake struck off the coast of Guatemala on Thursday (June 22), damaging buildings and downing trees as well as causing powerful tremors in neighbouring El Salvador. There were no reports of casualties.
The quake, measured at a magnitude of 6.8 by the U.S. Geological Survey, struck 38 kilometres (24 miles) southwest of Puerto San Jose at a depth of 46.8 kilometres.
A deeper earthquake of similar magnitude struck the interior of Guatemala last week, killing at least two people and damaging buildings.
Antigua's fire service told local radio the quake had damaged houses, bringing down some roofs, but confirmed no casualties had been reported.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None