- Title: Police and protesters clash over protest camps in Hamburg
- Date: 4th July 2017
- Summary: HAMBURG, GERMANY (JULY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** POLICE IN RIOT GEAR AND CROWD OF PEOPLE STANDING POLICE IN RIOT GEAR POLICE VAN DRIVING PAST VARIOUS OF POLICE IN RIOT GEAR LINE OF POLICE WALKING PAST PEOPLE STANDING POLICE IN RIOT GEAR WALKING PAST PEOPLE STANDING SECURITY FORCES STANDING VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS STANDING ARMOURED VEHICLE POLICE WALKING WATER CANNON DRIVING PAST POLICE CARS POLICE WALKING POLICE VAN AND ARMOURED VEHICLE DRIVING POLICE IN RIOT GEAR WALKING PAST ROAD POLICE VAN DRIVING PAST WATER CANNON WATER CANNON WITH PROTESTERS HOLDING BANNER IN FRONT READING (English) 'MAKE LOVE GREAT AGAIN' PEOPLE ON BIKES POLICE STANDING IN FRONT OF CROWD OF PEOPLE VARIOUS OF POLICE STANDING CROWD OF PEOPLE POLICE LINE WALKING FORWARD PROTESTERS SCUFFLING WITH POLICE POLICE LINE ADVANCING ON PROTESTERS PERSON FALLING TO GROUND VARIOUS OF POLICE LINE ADVANCING ON PROTESTERS FIREWORKS IN SKY VARIOUS OF POLICE SCUFFLING WITH PROTESTERS WATER CANNON SPRAYING WATER / POLICE ADVANCING VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON SPRAYING AT PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON SPRAYING, POLICE LINE ADVANCING VARIOUS OF WATER CANNON SPRAYING AT PROTESTERS VARIOUS OF POLICE LINE ADVANCING, WATER CANNON SPRAYING
- Embargoed: 18th July 2017 23:16
- Keywords: G20 Hamburg summit protest camp
- Location: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- City: HAMBURG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: G20,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0016OAZX3B
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS NIGHT SHOTS
Riot police cleared protesters off the streets of Hamburg late on Tuesday (July 4), using water cannons, as tempers rise over whether protest camps will be allowed in the North German city during the G20 summit.
German security forces expect some 8,000 violent protesters to converge on the northern city of Hamburg this week where Chancellor Angela Merkel will host leaders of the G20 leading economies, Interior Minister Thomas de Maiziere said on Tuesday.
Police have so far banned the majority of camps for fears they say, that extremist protesters might use them to prepare violent protests. In recent days police have forcefully evacuated camps, while protesters try and set up spontaneous ones elsewhere.
Some 20,000 police officers will secure the July 7-8 event in Germany's second-largest city where anti-capitalist protesters are expected to riot. Security circles say there could be up to 10,000 protesters prepared for violence.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None