- Title: Fire kills girl at Syrian refugee camp in Lebanon - medical source
- Date: 5th July 2017
- Summary: BEKAA, LEBANON (JULY 4, 2017) (REUTERS) BURNT DEBRIS ON THE GROUND BURNT DEBRIS ON GROUND, DIGGER DRIVING ON SITE PEOPLE STANDING AT SITE VARIOUS OF REFUGEES STANDING IN DAMAGED SHELTERS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) SYRIAN REFUGEE FROM ALEPPO PROVINCE, TAREK, SAYING: "We awoke at around half an hour after midnight to the sound of children and women shouting. We had just gone to sleep and did not feel it but we were alerted by the voices we heard. We left (our tents) with fire extinguishers the United Nations had given us, but we were surprised how inefficient they were because the fire was huge and some of the fire extinguishers were expired. We couldn't get closer than 50 meters to the fire, as big as it was." VARIOUS OF DIGGER MOVING DEBRIS PEOPLE DRAGGING DEBRIS ALONG THE GROUND SYRIAN REFUGEES SITTING IN DAMAGED SHELTER (SOUNDBITE) (English) MEDIA AND COMMUNICATIONS OFFICER AT SAVE THE CHILDREN INTERNATIONAL, AHMED BAYRAM, SAYING: "Unfortunately, we know that we have one little child who was killed in the fire and we know that we have several others injured. What we know so far, we came here this morning and we know that there were up to 19 tents which have been completely damaged. We know that there are several other tents which have been partially damaged. Unfortunately now families are, particularly those in this settlement, they are now displaced. Our response is, once the site is cleared, we will be here to improve this site again." DOCTOR INSPECTING CRYING CHILD AT A TENTED MEDICAL CLINIC SET-UP NEAR THE FIRE SITE DOCTOR SPEAKING TO REFUGEES DIGGER MOVING DEBRIS PEOPLE STANDING ON SITE
- Embargoed: 19th July 2017 12:55
- Keywords: Lebanon Syrian refugees fire camp Syria
- Location: BEKAA, LEBANON
- City: BEKAA, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OAYIIV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A fire caused by an electrical malfunction killed a girl at a Syrian refugee camp in the Lebanese Bekaa Valley overnight, a medical source said on Tuesday (July 4), in the second lethal blaze in a camp in the area in three days.
Save the Children Lebanon, a non-governmental organisation that assists refugees, said it was working to provide emergency support to the families and children affected by the latest fire.
On Sunday (July 2), a fire destroyed a Syrian refugee camp near Qab Elias, some 7 km (5 miles) away from Bar Elias, also killing one person. Initial reports indicated that fire was caused by a cooking stove. That camp was home to around 100 families.
Lebanon is hosting at least one million registered Syrian refugees, although the government says the total is around 1.5 million, with many living in tented settlements.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None