- Title: Thousands protest in Madrid against Venezuela's government
- Date: 8th July 2017
- Summary: PROTESTERS SINGING VENEZUELA'S NATIONAL ANTHEM AND CRYING WOMAN CRYING SINGING ANTHEM AND MAN COMFORTING HER WOMAN SINGING AND CRYING PROTESTERS SINGING ANTHEM
- Embargoed: 22nd July 2017 23:29
- Keywords: Venezuela Leopoldo Lopez Spain politics Nicolas Maduro
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026OUY0CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Thousands of people protested on Saturday (July 8) in central Madrid against Venezuela's government after best-known jailed opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez was sent out of prison and granted house arrest following three years in jail for leading anti-government protests.
Protest participants showed their anger against President Nicolas Maduro marching through Madrid's main boulevards, shouting, crying and singing Venezuela's anthem.
In a message released by his party, the 46-year-old hardliner Leopoldo Lopez urged opposition supporters to continue street protests against Maduro, which are in their fourth month and have led to at least 90 deaths.
Venezuela's Supreme Court said Lopez had been granted house arrest due to health problems, but his family members were unable to identify what those were.
Opposition leaders applauded Lopez's return home, but said he should be granted complete freedom, along with several hundred other jailed opponents of Maduro.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.