- Title: Venezuelan opposition demonstrators block roadways in Caracas
- Date: 10th July 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (JULY 10, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS WALKING NEXT TO BLOCKED ROADS DEBRIS ALONG BLOCKED STREET SIGN ABOVE STREET THAT READS: "IF WE UNITE, CHANGE WILL COME FASTER" / WORTHLESS BOLIVAR NOTES BEING USED TO HOLD SIGN VARIOUS OF RESIDENTS STICKING WORTHLESS COINS ON POST (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEMONSTRATOR, MARIO TESTA, SAYING: "I'm blocking the road because I need my freedom. I need to go to the market to buy what I want. I need to leave my house on my motorbike and car and feel free." VARIOUS OF COINS AND NOTES STUCK ON POST GENERAL VIEW OF BLOCKED STREET WITH WORTHLESS MONEY VARIOUS OF YOUNGSTERS SITTING ON PAVEMENT WITH COVERED FACES, WHILE DEBRIS BURNS ON SIDE OF ROAD
- Embargoed: 24th July 2017 20:28
- Keywords: Venezuela protests roadblocks Leopoldo Lopez Lilian Tintori Nicolas Maduro
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016P4YE6F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Opposition protesters blocked streets around the capital on Monday (July 10) after a dramatic weekend which saw the surprise transfer of opposition leader Leopoldo Lopez from prison to house arrest.
Monday's roadblocks remained peaceful after 100 days of protests that often ended in violent clashes and have resulted in the deaths of more than 90 people.
Many blocking the roads sounded defiant, galvanized by Lopez' transfer to house arrest. His wife Lilian Tintori emerged from their home with her daughter and told media that the return of her husband was a stage and that Venezuela would "overcome" in stages and "little steps."
Lopez, 46, was sentenced to nearly 14 years in jail on charges of inciting violence during 2014 protests against President Nicolas Maduro that led to 43 deaths. But he was surprisingly granted house arrest and sent home due to what the Supreme Court called "irregularities" in his case and for health reasons. Lopez looked robust, however, when he later appeared to supporters.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None