- Title: U.S. draws both criticism and support with strikes in Syria
- Date: 7th April 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (APRIL 6, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET IN DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES RESIDENT, ANGEL JOHN, SAYING: "I really think it's crazy that he would just retaliate so quick without thinking of repercussions, and I don't really think we should be doing anything over there." (SOUNDBITE) (English) MAN FROM BOLOGNA, ITALY, NICOLA MONTUSCHI, SAYING: "I don't think it's a really good idea to start, like, a fighting campaign directly against (Syrian President) Assadâ€¦ might be another way to get more peaceful resolutions. And I'm pretty sure that if you bomb them, it can drive to an escalation of even more violence in the area."
- Embargoed: 21st April 2017 11:16
- Location: EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN SEA / PALM BEACH, FLORIDA AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / DAMASCUS, SYRIA / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / NEAR HOMS, SYRIA
- City: EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN SEA / PALM BEACH, FLORIDA AND LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES / DAMASCUS, SYRIA / MOSCOW, RUSSIA / LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM / NEAR HOMS, SYRIA
- Country: Syria
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Military Conflicts
- Reuters ID: LVA0056BEHHDZ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A WRAP OF MATERIAL THAT HAS ALREADY MOVED ON REUTERS SERVICES AND DOES NOT CONTAIN ANY FRESH VIDEO
EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS MATERIAL WHICH WAS ORIGINALLY 4:3
The United States fired cruise missiles on Friday (April 7) at a Syrian air base from which President Donald Trump said a deadly chemical weapons attack had been launched, the first direct U.S. assault on the government of Bashar al-Assad in six years of civil war.
That catapulted the United States into a confrontation with Russia, which has military advisers on the ground assisting its close ally Assad.
The swift action is likely to be interpreted not only as a signal to Russia, but also to other countries such as North Korea, China and Iran where Trump has faced foreign policy tests early in his presidency.
Western allies of the United States spoke out in support of the decision to launch the strikes. Several countries said they were notified in advance, but none had been asked to take part.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None