- Title: Daniel Day-Lewis announces retirement from acting
- Date: 20th June 2017
- Summary: WEST HOLLYWOOD, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (FILE - FEBRUARY 24, 2013) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF DAY-LEWIS WITH MILLER AT VANITY FAIR PARTY MADRID, SPAIN (FILE-JANUARY 16, 2013) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF DAY-LEWIS AT 'LINCOLN' PHOTOCALL IN MADRID
- Embargoed: 4th July 2017 22:12
- Keywords: Daniel Day-Lewis retirement acting Oscars awards
- Location: LOS ANGELES/WEST HOLLYWOOD/SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BERLIN, GERMANY; MADRID, SPAIN
- City: LOS ANGELES/WEST HOLLYWOOD/SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES; BERLIN, GERMANY; MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0036M34765
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Three-time Oscar winner Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring from acting, his spokeswoman said on Tuesday (June 20), ending a storied movie career that includes performances in "Lincoln" and "Gangs of New York."
Day-Lewis, the only man to have won three lead actor Oscars, gave no reason for his decision, calling it private.
"Daniel Day-Lewis will no longer be working as an actor," his publicist, Leslee Dart, said in a statement. "He is immensely grateful to all of his collaborators and audiences over the many years."
The statement said there would be no further comment.
Day-Lewis, who turned 60 in April, has one more movie in the works - "Phantom Thread," which is set in London's 1950s fashion world and is due to be released in December.
Day-Lewis, who was born in Britain and holds dual Anglo-Irish citizenship, won his third lead actor Oscar in 2013 for playing U.S. President Abraham Lincoln in "Lincoln." He previously won Academy Awards for "My Left Foot" (1989) and "There Will Be Blood" (2007) and was nominated for "Gangs of New York" (2002) and "There Will Be Blood" (2007).
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None