- Title: Joan Rivers' daughter settles malpractice lawsuit in mother's death
- Date: 13th May 2016
- Summary: VARIOUS LOCATIONS (FILE) (REUTERS) ****WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** VARIOUS OF ACTRESS AND COMEDIAN JOAN RIVERS WITH DAUGHTER MELISSA RIVERS ON RED CARPET
- Embargoed: 27th May 2016 01:29
- Keywords: Yorkville Endoscopy Clinic endoscopy malpractice Melissa Rivers Joan Rivers
- Location: VARIOUS LOCATIONS/NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: VARIOUS LOCATIONS/NEW YORK, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Celebrities,Arts / Culture / Entertainment
- Reuters ID: LVA0014HN358N
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:A New York City clinic has settled a malpractice lawsuit filed by the daughter of comedian Joan Rivers for an undisclosed amount over an ill-fated procedure that led to the celebrity's death, lawyers for the Rivers family said on Thursday (May 12).
Rivers, who was 81, suffered a loss of oxygen to her brain on Aug. 28, 2014, as physicians at the Yorkville Endoscopy center in Manhattan inserted instruments to examine her throat and vocal cords. She died a week later at a New York hospital.
Her daughter, Melissa, filed a malpractice suit in January 2015, alleging doctors posed for selfies with their sedated celebrity patient even as her vital signs were plunging.
Reuters could not reach representatives of Yorkville Endoscopy for comment.
The Rivers lawyers said the doctors did not deny responsibility.
Shortly before the lawsuit was filed, a government health agency, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, cited the Yorkville clinic for failing to follow standard protocols during its treatment of Rivers.
Melissa Rivers vowed to work toward ensuring higher safety standards at outpatient surgical clinics.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2016. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None