- Title: Wenger plays down Sanchez Champions League comments
- Date: 18th July 2017
- Summary: SHANGHAI, CHINA (JULY 18, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF ARSENAL MANAGER, ARSENE WENGER, SEATED IN NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (English) ARSENAL MANAGER, ARSENE WENGER, SAYING: REPORTER ASKING: "How do you view those quotes? Have you had an opportunity to speak to him (Alexis Sanchez) since? Are you still resolute that he will stay?" WENGER, SAYING: "I do not give too much importance to things that are translated you know. The whole interview, what of it I got, didn't really mean that. So we have played.. I think the main focus for us is to focus on the Premier League." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Embargoed: 1st August 2017 17:35
- Keywords: Arsenal Arsene Wenger Alexis Sanchez Champions League transfer
- Location: SHANGHAI, CHINA AND TOCOPILLA, ANTOFAGASTA, CHILE
- City: SHANGHAI, CHINA AND TOCOPILLA, ANTOFAGASTA, CHILE
- Country: Various
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016Q8WGN3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger on Tuesday (July 18) played down comments by forward Alexis Sanchez about wanting to play Champions League soccer, saying he does not give too much importance to translated interviews.
Sanchez has a year left on his Arsenal contract but his future has been up in the air since the London club failed to qualify for the Champions League for the first time in 20 years.
Speaking to reporters in his native Chile at a charity match in his home town of Tocopilla on Saturday (July 15), Sanchez said "My idea is to play in the Champions (League) and to win the Champions (League). It is a dream I've had since I was little."
However Wenger, who spoke to reporters in Shanghai, China, on the eve of his side's friendly match with Bayern Munich, said that the interview had been misconstrued, adding that his focus was on the Premier League.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None