- Title: Palestinian worshippers hurt in clash with Israeli police in Jerusalem
- Date: 18th July 2017
- Summary: BARHAM MOVING FROM SCENE AFTER BEING INJURED
- Embargoed: 1st August 2017 21:11
- Keywords: Israeli forces Palestinian worshippers Clashes erupt al-Aqsa mosque
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026Q8WU2V
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several Palestinians were injured, at least one seriously, when they clashed with police near Jerusalem's Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound after Muslim evening prayers on Tuesday (July 18), according to Palestinian medical officials.
The Palestinian Red Crescent ambulance service said at least 14 people had been injured in Tuesday's violence.
A hospital official said one man had suffered a serious head wound from a rubber bullet fired from close range but an Israeli police spokesman denied that rubber bullets had been used. A senior Muslim cleric was also hurt, witnesses said.
Tensions have increased around the compound, which is holy to Muslims and Jews, since three Arab-Israeli gunmen shot dead two Israeli policemen outside the complex on Friday in one of the most serious attacks in the area in years. The assailants were killed by security forces and Israeli authorities briefly closed the compound.
When it was reopened on Sunday, metal detectors had been installed, to the anger of Muslim religious authorities. Israeli officials said they were a permanent measure but many worshippers refused to go through them and preferred to pray outside the compound.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None