- Title: Angel Maria Villar and son Gorka to testify in anti-corruption investigation
- Date: 20th July 2017
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF SPANISH NATIONAL AUDIENCE SPANISH POLICE TALKING OUTSIDE AUDIENCE POLICE VAN CARRYING GORKA VILLAR, SON OF SPANISH FOOTBALL FEDERATION PRESIDENT MARIA ANGEL VILLAR, DRIVING TO COURT PARKING POLICE CAR AND STREET EXTERIOR OF SPAIN'S SUPERIOR COURT
- Embargoed: 3rd August 2017 10:22
- Keywords: Gorka Villar Maria Angel Villar RFEF
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QITMBJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The head of Spain's soccer federation (RFEF) Angel Maria Villar, a FIFA vice president, and his son Gorka were escorted to Spanish National Audience by police on Thursday (July 20) following his arrest in Madrid on Tuesday (July 18) as part of an anti-corruption investigation.
Villar, his son and several other Spanish soccer federation members were detained on allegations of collusion, fraud and embezzlement, the police said in a statement, and the accused and will testify to judge Santiago Pedraz on Thursday at the National Audience.
A one-time midfielder for Athletic Bilbao, Villar has been at the head of the federation for nearly 30 years.
He was fined 25,000 Swiss francs ($26,000) last year by FIFA's Ethics Committee for failing to co-operate with an investigation into the contest to host the 2018 and 2022 World Cups that triggered the worst crisis in the soccer world governing body's history.
The investigation into Villar is already several months old and stems from claims raised by the Spanish state's sports body in early 2016, police said.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None