- Title: Will Smith revels in racism with 'Bright'
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 20, 2017) (REUTERS) NEWS CONFERENCE FOR 'BRIGHT' (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, WILL SMITH, SAYING: "It was spectacular for me as an African American playing a police officer that was racist against the first orc on the force. It's the flip of those social concepts. As a black dude, you don't get a lot of movies where you're the racist. It was great. 'I don't want no orc in my car'. You just never get to say that." SMITH WITH DIRECTOR DAVID AYER (SOUNDBITE) (English) ACTOR, WILL SMITH, SAYING: "We did ride-alongs with LAPD and the sheriffs and as an African American it was really a different perspective for me to be riding around with police officers in Los Angeles in predominantly black and hispanic neighborhoods and see the complexities from the other side of it."
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 00:24
- Keywords: Will Smith Netflix David Ayers Comic-con Bright racism movie stars
- Location: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES /UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- City: SAN DIEGO, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES /UNIDENTIFIED FILM LOCATIONS
- Country: USA
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Film
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QNWY8D
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hollywood star Will Smith brought some A-list clout to the San Diego Comic-Con on Thursday (July 20) when he launched the new Netflix film "Bright."
Reportedly the most expensive film Netflix has produced, the film sees Smith reteam with his "Suicide Squad" director David Ayer.
"Bright" is based in a parallel universe where orcs and elves live alongside humans in modern society and Smith and his orc police partner (Joel Edgerton) go on a mission to find a secret weapon.
Smith spoke at both the panel and the news conference afterwards at the convention that he found it "spectacular" to be racist in the film against his orc partner, as it was refreshing to do that in an African American role.
"Bright" goes on release on Netflix in December.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None