- Title: Muslim worshippers clash with Israeli forces outside Jerusalem shrine
- Date: 22nd July 2017
- Summary: JERUSALEM (JULY 22, 2017) (REUTERS) CROWD OF MEN WHO JUST FINISHED MUSLIM EVENING PRAYERS ON STREET OUTSIDE JERUSALEM'S OLD CITY, GATHERING AROUND POLICE VAN, MEN THROWING OBJECTS TOWARDS POLICE VEHICLE, EXPLOSIONS OF STUN GRENADES AND/OR FIREWORKS, CROWD DISPERSING, CAMERA HIT IN EXPLOSION CROWD CHANTING OUTSIDE JERUSALEM OLD CITY WALLS MEN PROTESTING ISRAELI SECURITY MEN WALKING IN STREET CROWD RUNNING AWAY/ EXPLOSIONS FROM STUN GRENADES AND/OR FIREWORKS MEN IN STREET MORE OF MEN IN STREET, STUN GRENADES EXPLODING MORE OF CLASHES OUTSIDE JERUSALEM OLD CITY WALLS POLICE WATER CANNON DRIVING DOWN STREET MEN PRAYING OUTSIDE JERUSALEM OLD CITY'S LIONS GATE, TO PROTEST AGAINST ISRAEL'S NEWLY INSTALLED METAL DETECTORS AT ENTRANCES TO HOLY SITE CLOSE OF YOUNG MEN PRAYING VARIOUS OF PRAYERS ISRAELI SECURITY MEN WATCHING PRAYERS MORE OF PRAYERS MOSQUE MORE OF PRAYERS
- Embargoed: 5th August 2017 18:54
- Keywords: Jerusalem Temple Mount-Noble Sanctuary Muslim anger Israeli security measures Metal detectors
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0016QSSOQV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Hundreds of Muslim worshippers clashed with Israeli security forces on Saturday (July 22) outside Jerusalem Old City in protest against newly installed security measures outside a holy site.
The clashes came after a week of mounting tension and protests that peaked on Friday (July 21), when six people died in the bloodiest spate of Israeli-Palestinian violence for years.
Three Israelis were stabbed to death in a Jewish settlement in the Israeli-occupied West Bank, hours after three Palestinians were killed in violence prompted by Israel's installation of metal detectors at entry points to the Noble Sanctuary-Temple Mount compound in Jerusalem's walled Old City.
Palestinian President Mahmoud Abbas ordered the suspension of all official contact with Israel until it removed the metal detectors at the site, where Muslims pray at Al-Aqsa mosque.
Israel decided to install the metal detectors at the entry point to the shrine in Jerusalem on Sunday (July 16), after the killing of two Israeli policemen on July 14.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None