- Title: Muslims refuse to pass through new Al-Aqsa security measures, pray elsewhere
- Date: 23rd July 2017
- Summary: ISRAELI SECURITY MEMBERS AT SCENE PALESTINIANS CHANTING WORSHIPPERS LEAVING AFTER PRAYERS ISRAELI SECURITY MEMBERS AT SCENE AMBULANCE AT SCENE, PEOPLE WALKING, SMOKE BILLOWING SECURITY MEMBERS AT SCENE
- Embargoed: 6th August 2017 22:27
- Keywords: Israeli security Al-Aqsa mosque Old City of Jerusalem worshippers clashes
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace
- Reuters ID: LVA0026QXT3K7
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Palestinians held prayers outside Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem on Sunday (July 23), refusing to pass through newly-installed Israeli security measures.
Reuters witnesses reported some light clashes between Muslim worshippers and Israeli security forces after the prayers. Palestinian medical sources did not report any serious injuries.
The spike in tensions, and the deaths of three Israelis and four Palestinians in violence on Friday and Saturday, have triggered international alarm and prompted the United Nations Security Council to convene a meeting for Monday to seek ways of calming the situation.
Israel said on Sunday it would not remove metal detectors, whose installation outside Al-Aqsa has triggered the bloodiest clashes with the Palestinians in years, but could eventually reduce their use.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None