- Title: Wildfires ravage scrubland, forest and buildings in southern France
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: LA LONDE-LES-MAURES, FRANCE (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF BURNT BUILDINGS BURNT VEHICLE VARIOUS OF WOMAN SITTING ON STAIRS LOOKING AT PHONE BURNT PARKING AREA VARIOUS OF BURNT MATERIAL (SOUNDBITE) (French) OWNER OF CAR PARK AND BURNT HOUSE, JEROME MASSOLINI, SAYING: "I went to bed with my wife. And when we switched the light off, I turned and I saw light around the shutters. So I wondered, I asked my wife, 'did you leave the light on?' She answered, 'No, I did not leave the light on.' So I got up, opened the shutters and the flames in the cypress trees over there." BURNT TREES (SOUNDBITE) (French) OWNER OF CAR PARK AND BURNT HOUSE, JEROME MASSOLINI, SAYING: "It took us 30 seconds to out of bed, get the little girl out of her bed, take our two dogs, get in the car. And when we got out, the firefighters were already in front of the gate so I think ten minutes had already passed before the fire started." VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICER AND RANGERS WALKING NEXT TO BURNT SITE POLICE OFFICER'S BACK WITH TOP READING (French): 'RESEARCH AND CAUSES/FIRES' (SOUNDBITE) (French) OWNER OF CAR PARK AND BURNT HOUSE, JEROME MASSOLINI, SAYING: "I can't fathom another explanation than a criminal one. Now, as always, the person won't be caught. I don't think I am wrong in saying this. Well, they are just the worst type of criminals." BURNT FOREST WITH BARRIER READING (French) 'FORBIDDEN/FIRE' AIRCRAFT IN AIR AIRCRAFT DROPPING FIRE RETARDANT ON FORESTS AIRCRAFT IN AIR AIRCRAFT DROPPING FIRE RETARDANT ON FORESTS
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 19:16
- Keywords: fire damage Bormes-les-Mimosas La Londe-les-Maures burnt house
- Location: LA LONDE-LES-MAURES, FRANCE
- City: LA LONDE-LES-MAURES, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Fires
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCVHVR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Wildfires that raged across southern France on Wednesday (July 26) left behind a trail of ravaged forest, scrubland and buildings.
Local resident Jerome Massolini, who said a fire began just 200 metres from where he lives in La Londe-les-Maures, saw both his home and car parking and caravan repair business destroyed.
Police were at the site investigating the cause of the fire.
The blaze was the latest of several wind-whipped fires that are destroying the hills and slopes that spill into the Mediterranean sea between the Marseilles and the city of Nice in the southeastern corner of France.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None