- Title: Spanish PM Rajoy arrives in court as witness in corruption trial
- Date: 26th July 2017
- Summary: SAN FERNANDO DE HENARES, SPAIN (JULY 26, 2017) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF SAN FERNANDO DE HENARES COURT CAR CARRYING SPANISH PRIME MINISTER MARIANO RAJOY DRIVING INTO COURT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ENTERING COURT, POLICE OFFICERS SEARCHING PEOPLE VARIOUS OF PROTESTERS DEMONSTRATING AGAINST RAJOY'S GOVERNMENT
- Embargoed: 9th August 2017 09:33
- Keywords: Spain's Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy long-running graft trial court of San Fernando de Henares Spain's High Court
- Location: SAN FERNANDO DE HENARES, SPAIN
- City: SAN FERNANDO DE HENARES, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Judicial Process/Court Cases/Court Decisions
- Reuters ID: LVA0016RCQYBR
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Spanish Prime Minister Mariano Rajoy arrived at the court of San Fernando de Henares on the outskirts of Madrid on Wednesday (July 26) where he will appear as a witness in a long-running graft trial that has rocked his conservative party and hurt him at the ballot box.
Rajoy, Spain's first sitting prime minister to be called to court, returned to power for a second term last October with a severely diminished mandate, after a series of corruption scandals tainted several members of his People's Party (PP) and turned off voters.
The trial follows a long graft investigation into several city councils which are alleged to have received illegal financing from a network of companies and Rajoy is expected to be grilled about the alleged slush fund and his knowledge of party business in the early 2000s, when he held several senior positions in the PP.
Known in Spanish as the "Gurtel" case, after the nickname of supposed mastermind and businessman Francisco Correa, the probe ended up reaching several former high-ranking PP members and drew attention to an alleged party slush fund.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None