- Title: Angelinos react as LA awarded 2028 Olympics
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES (JULY 31, 2017) (REUTERS) DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES STREET SCENE (SOUNDBITE) (English) CHICAGO NATIVE, GABRIEL BENNER, 18, SAYING: "I think it's a really good thing for the city, I know they hosted it back in the day and I think it's good that they are having it again and I just think it's really important in this day and age to bring people together in unity and just with the way Southern California is that is what it is. And I think it's just really important and I think it's a really good thing and I'm happy for the city." (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES RESIDENT, CARLOS ESPARZA, 14, SAYING: "I think it's both good and bad because it's going to be a lot of traffic, more people. But also as a city we can grow more with different cultures and other people." (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES RESIDENT, DOMENIC FERRANTE, 53, SAYING: "It was a great thing the last time we had it here in L.A. and I think it will be a boon for business and kind of bring unity back to L.A.." (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES RESIDENT, FRANKY JORQUEZ, 21, SAYING: "So the Olympics is going to be in LA? I think that's going to be a great thing. It's going to, I think more the community is going to be watching it. I know for myself I have never been a fan of the Olympics because it's way ... different countries and what not, so actually being in L.A. and being from the city the city, I'm definitely going to be more in tune with it." (SOUNDBITE) (English) LOS ANGELES RESIDENT, EVELYN ESPARZA, 19, SAYING: "I think it's both a good thing and bad thing, traffic is already heavy enough so maybe they should take more like transportation and stuff like that to make like traffic less and stuff. But besides that I think the more people the merrier." DOWNTOWN LOS ANGELES STREET SCENE
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 22:34
- Keywords: Los Angeles Olympics 2028 reactions street IOC
- Location: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: LOS ANGELES, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016S1UCLJ
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Los Angeles residents reacted on Monday (July 31) as it emerged that the California city had agreed to host the 2028 Summer Olympics.
The International Olympic Committee confirmed the news on Monday in a deal that paves the way for Paris to host the 2024 Summer Games.
The IOC said it would make contributions to the organizing committee worth $1.8 billion.
In an unprecedented move to award two Games at the same time after several other cities withdrew from contention, the IOC's decision turned the spotlight on security challenges for Paris while giving Los Angeles ample time to upgrade its public transportation system.
Los Angeles previously hosted the Summer Games in 1932 and 1984.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None