- Title: France to open two migrant accommodation centres in Calais region
- Date: 31st July 2017
- Summary: CALAIS, FRANCE (FILE) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MIGRANTS ON TOP OF DUNES, WHERE THEY SLEEP AT NIGHT MIGRANTS QUEUING UP BEHIND WHITE TRUCK TO RECEIVE CLOTHES FROM NGO MIGRANT SITTING ON ROCK HOLDING HIS HEAD
- Embargoed: 14th August 2017 15:32
- Keywords: migrants Calais water Gerard Collomb interior minister refugees camp
- Location: PARIS AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS AND CALAIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0026S1T4CN
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb said on Monday (July 31) that two new accommodation centres would be opened in the Calais region and that the country would provide mobile spots offering access to sanitary facilities in the town.
France's highest administrative court on Monday ruled President Emmanuel Macron's government and the Calais region must provide the hundreds of migrants sleeping rough there with drinking water, showers and toilets.
Charities and the national human rights watchdog have been fiercely critical of the squalid conditions facing the migrants who have converged again on the northern port city after government bulldozers razed a camp known as the "Jungle".
While Macron has called for migrants to be treated with dignity, his own government has taken a tough stance, refusing to open a new migrant reception centre in Calais, saying it would act as a magnet for other migrants.
The two new accommodation centres will be located away from Calais in Troisvaux and Bailleul.
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None