- Title: German jobless drop, manufacturing grows in boost to Merkel campaign
- Date: 1st August 2017
- Summary: NUREMBERG, GERMANY (AUGUST 1, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS EXTERIORS OF GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE BOARD MEMBER OF GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE RAIMUND BECKER WALKING TO PODIUM BROCHURE ENTITLED (German) "EMPLOYMENT AND TRAINING MARKET AT A GLANCE" VARIOUS OF JOURNALIST WRITING (SOUNDBITE) (German) BOARD MEMBER OF GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE, RAIMUND BECKER, SAYING: "The development of the job market is good. There has been a slight increase in unemployment for seasonal reasons, but once seasonally adjusted the number of unemployed has dropped. We have also seen an increase in employment subject to social insurance contributions: over 700,000 more compared to the previous year. There is also a relatively high number of available jobs, which means companies want to be producing and are looking for workers. So overall the job market situation is good." PRESS RELEASE READING (German) "The job market in July 2017: unemployment increases for seasonal reasons" (SOUNDBITE) (German) BOARD MEMBER OF GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE, RAIMUND BECKER, SAYING: "Companies are looking for workers in almost every area: there are only two where we have seen a decrease in employment subject to social insurance contributions - banking and insurance, where we are seeing cuts. But otherwise workers are being sought in transport, storage, logistics, sales, manufacturing as well as in nursing. This is a good positive development." VARIOUS OF BROCHURES DETAILING DEVELOPMENT OF JOB MARKET AND YOUTH UNEMPLOYMENT (SOUNDBITE) (German) BOARD MEMBER OF GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE, RAIMUND BECKER, SAYING: "The prognosis is that the average unemployment for the year will drop compared with the previous year due to the positive developments. Our research institute will give another prognosis in September and we will see how things develop further." BROCHURE SHOWING "JOB MARKET BAROMETRE" BECKER BEING INTERVIEWED GERMAN FEDERAL LABOUR OFFICE SIGN
- Embargoed: 15th August 2017 11:24
- Keywords: jobless total unemployment rate unemployed Germany
- Location: NUREMBERG, GERMANY
- City: NUREMBERG, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Economic Events
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SBQTU5
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: The number of unemployed Germans fell more than expected in July while the manufacturing sector expanded, adding to signs of an economy in rude health the month before Chancellor Angela Merkel bids for a fourth term in office.
In a boon to the conservatives' campaign, data from the Federal Labour Office on Tuesday (August 1) showed the seasonally adjusted jobless total fell by 9,000 to 2.537 million - steeper than the decline of 5,000 forecast in a Reuters poll.
The unemployment rate was unchanged as expected at 5.7 percent, its lowest level since reunification in 1990.
Raimund Becker of the German Federal Labour Office told Reuters the positive trend was likely to continue, with the average unemployment for the year likely to drop compared with last year.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None