- Title: French heatwave prompts weather warnings
- Date: 2nd August 2017
- Summary: FIGARI, CORSICA, FRANCE (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SIGN OUTSIDE PHARMACY SHOWING TEMPERATURE - 42 DEGREES CELSIUS VARIOUS OF HILLSIDE PEOPLE OUTSIDE CAFE FIREMAN VARIOUS OF FIRE SAFETY VEHICLE ON STANDBY CALDARELLO, CORSICA, FRANCE (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) TOWN HALL SIGN OUTSIDE TOWN HALL READING (French): "DROUGHT WARNING: WATER USE RESTRICTED" LA PROVENCE NEWSPAPER HEADLINE READING (French): "HEATWAVE TAKES HOLD: STATE OF ALERT" NEWSPAPER RACK CHILDREN JUMPING INTO SWIMMING POOL (SOUNDBITE) (French) TOURIST, ISABELLE SEBTI, SAYING: "So I'm resting, you try not to exert yourself, you read a lot. A good book and everything goes well." SEBTI READING PATHWAY LEADING TO BEACH SIGN FOR BEACH VARIOUS OF BATHERS IN SEA BOAT VARIOUS OF PEOPLE ON BEACH
- Embargoed: 16th August 2017 16:55
- Keywords: France heatwave weather warning Corsica tourists holidaymakers on beach sunbathers
- Location: FIGARI AND CALDARELLO, CORSICA, FRANCE
- City: FIGARI AND CALDARELLO, CORSICA, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Environment,Temperature
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGT3RB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: French authorities issued weather warnings on Wednesday (August 2) as temperatures in the southeast and on the island of Corsica rocketed.
The mercury broke night-time records and sent summer visitors and locals running for cover.
The pharmacy in the village of Figari on Corsica showed the temperature hitting 42 degrees.
Local fire safety teams were on standby as the government called for vigilance after wildfires ravaged parts of the Mediterranean island last week.
Weather authority Meteo France said it expected the warnings - level orange, the second highest - to remain in place until at least Friday morning.
French media reported that the night time temperature record had been broken overnight on Monday/Tuesday - 30.5 degrees in Corsica.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None