- Title: Klopp upbeat despite Liverpool losing Audi Cup final to Atletico on penalties
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: MUNICH, GERMANY (AUGUST 2, 2017) (REUTERS) LIVERPOOL COACH JUERGEN KLOPP ARRIVING FOR NEWS CONFERENCE LIVERPOOL LOGO JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) LIVERPOOL COACH, JUERGEN KLOPP, SAYING: "I am very pleased because you always have to train a great deal and the boys did that very well. We had a really intensive programme and so I'm very pleased with that. It was obvious today that the freshness was missing, there's no doubt about that. But now we have one and a half weeks until our first competitive match and that's the time we had in mind. And so I'm pleased. Our goal for the season is very simple: we want to do as well as we can." VARIOUS OF KLOPP TALKING (SOUNDBITE) (German) LIVERPOOL COACH, JUERGEN KLOPP, SPEAKING ABOUT THE NEYMAR TRANSFER TO PARIS ST. GERMAIN, SAYING: "There are two clubs in the world that can afford to pay that much - maybe three if you count Barcelona, if they don't need the money for something else - and they are Man City and PSG. Everybody knows why that is. I always thought financial fair play was invented to make sure something like that can't happen. But obviously financial fair play is more of a suggestion than a real rule. I don't understand it. But that's not the next step, I believe, I hope that it will remain an exception but who knows." VARIOUS OF JOURNALISTS (SOUNDBITE) (German) LIVERPOOL COACH, JUERGEN KLOPP, SAYING: "Anybody who spends 10 days in Hong Kong, China, or wherever in Asia and plays a lot of matches there, pays the price when they come back. Full stop. That's how life is. We played two and that was hard enough!" KLOPP SPEAKING ATLETICO MADRID LOGO ATLETICO MADRID COACH DIEGO SIMEONE ARRIVING CAMERA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ATLETICO MADRID COACH, DIEGO SIMEONE, SAYING: "From the moment we got the chance to take part we felt a sense of pride. At the same time we wanted to play our best here, befitting the tournament. We played the two games very well, with room for improvement. We were always optimistic and we demonstrated a strength in the two matches that allowed us to work together as a whole. This allowed us to win this tournament." SIMEONE SPEAKING VARIOUS OF JOURNALIST TYPING (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) ATLETICO MADRID COACH, DIEGO SIMEONE, SAYING: "I have a lot of faith in the work that Carlo Ancelotti has always done in the teams that he has been at. He has a great team and they will certainly be more dangerous because when things go wrong there are a lot of complaints, and when that happens they are good." SIMEONE TALKING CAMERAS SIMEONE LEAVING
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 00:20
- Keywords: soccer Audi Cup Bayern Munich Atletico Madrid Napoli Liverpool
- Location: MUNICH, GERMANY
- City: MUNICH, GERMANY
- Country: Germany
- Topics: Soccer,Sport
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SGR8LB
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Liverpool coach Juergen Klopp was upbeat on Wednesday evening (August 2) following his team's defeat to Atletico Madrid in the Audi Cup final.
The match finished 1-1 after 90 minutes before Atletico beat Liverpool 5-4 on penalties.
Klopp said he was pleased with the team's training and performance but acknowledged some freshness was missing following two Premier League Asia Trophy matches in Hong Kong.
He also said that financial fair play appeared to be "more of a suggestion than a real rule" in the week that Neymar's record-breaking 222 million euros ($263 million) transfer from Barcelona to Paris St. Germain is set to be completed.
Atletico coach Diego Simeone praised his team's performance and said Carlo Ancelotti's Bayern Munich side looked strong for the coming season. Bayern lost for the second time in two days earlier on Wednesday, concluding a disappointing performance in their host tournament.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None