- Title: Released Hezbollah fighters arrive in Lebanon from Syria
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: QAA, LEBANON (AUGUST 3, 2017) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF SECURITY CONVOY DRIVING
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 00:12
- Keywords: Hezbollah captives Syria
- Location: QAA, LEBANON
- City: QAA, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLTXL3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Five Hezbollah fighters arrived in the village of Qaa, northeast Lebanon, on Thursday night (August 3) after being released as part of a ceasefire agreement with Nusra militants.
The members were greeted with crowds celebrating their return after being released from captivity.
About 7,000 Syrians, including Nusra militants and refugees, left the Arsal district on the border between Lebanon and Syria as part of the ceasefire deal that also involves the handover of captured Hezbollah fighters.
Syrians who left Lebanon after the ceasefire started crossing into a rebel-held area of Syria where they will settle, Lebanese media reported.
The ceasefire took effect last week, just days after Shi'ite Hezbollah and the Syrian army launched an offensive to drive Nusra Front and other Sunni militants from their last foothold in the border area between Lebanon and Syria.
Hezbollah is an important ally of the Syrian government in the war against rebel groups that include the Nusra Front.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None