- Title: Thousands march in Jerusalem's gay pride parade
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: PEOPLE IN PARADE WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (English) ISRAELI RESIDENT ASHEL FROM TEL AVIV, SAYING: "I am here in the Jerusalem pride parade to march for the LGBT rights, for rights for freedom, rights to live here, to marry, to have children. I am here to support my community." PEOPLE AT PARADE CHANTING POLICE ON MOTORBIKE GUARDING PARADE BOY ON SHOULDERS OF MAN WITH RAINBOW FLAG PEOPLE IN DRAG AT PARADE PEOPLE AROUND POSTER OF ISRAELI TEENAGER, SHIRA BANKI, WHO WAS KILLED IN THE PARADE IN 2015 VARIOUS OF PARADE IN STREET (SOUNDBITE) (English) RESIDENT OF JERUSALEM, TOMER KHALFOUN, SAYING: "It is the most important pride in Israel basically, because Jerusalem is so divided and everybody knows it is a very complicated city, and there is a lot of oppression so we came here to mostly protest and show that we are here." PARADERS CHANTING AND WAVING FLAGS ISRAELI POLICE AT SCENE VARIOUS OF PARADERS
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 18:23
- Keywords: Gay Pride Parade Jerusalem Israel LGBT Lesbian
- Location: JERUSALEM
- City: JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Topics: Arts / Culture / Entertainment,Human Interest / Brights / Odd News
- Reuters ID: LVA0036SLS6E1
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Several thousand members and supporters of Jerusalem's LGBT community took part on Thursday (August 3) in the city's 16th annual pride parade.
Marchers chanted slogans, played musical instruments and waved rainbow flags as they walked through the city, guarded by police forces. The parade ended without incident.
Past pride parades in the holy city, sacred for the three monotheistic religions, have seen anti-gay protests and violence. In the parade in 2015, an ultra-Orthodox Jew killed teenager Shira Banki and wounded several others.
The parade, held in Jerusalem since 2001, has long been a source of tension between Israel's predominantly secular majority and the ultra-Orthodox Jewish minority, who object to public displays of homosexuality.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None