- Title: Former Mexican governor will remain jailed in Panama until extradition
- Date: 3rd August 2017
- Summary: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA (AUGUST 02, 2017) (REUTERS) ***WARNING CONTAINS FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY*** ENTRANCE TO JUDICIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING PEOPLE IN JUDICIAL AUTHORITY BUILDING LEGAL OFFICIAL ENTERING BUILDING FORMER QUINTANA ROO GOVERNOR ROBERTO BORGE WALKING IN CORRIDOR OF BUILDING BORGE WITH OFFICIALS AND AUTHORITIES BORGE WALKING IN CORRIDOR OF BUILDING WITH OFFICIALS AND AUTHORITIES (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS FOR PANAMA PROSECUTOR, JOSE ANTONIO CANDANEDO, SAYING: "The prosecutor requested the application for a judicial process from magistrates because the legislation does not consider the foreign ministry's position. They (judges) agreed to our request and set 60 days for the foreign ministry to establish its position on extradition. (Reporter: Can the Foreign Minister call for a hearing during this time?) There is now no hearing regarding extradition but rather an administrative process as I mentioned, and it will be decided in writing if they will proceed with extradition and to notify the extradited party." CANDANEDO SPEAKING TO MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) HEAD OF INTERNATIONAL AFFAIRS FOR PANAMA PROSECUTOR, JOSE ANTONIO CANDANEDO, SAYING: "However, the court considered that the requested preventative requirements in the case have not changed since the beginning. Also, there are various criminal questions that the (defendant) should respond to and given the power that this citizen has to flee, it was decided by the magistrate that it would not be worthwhile to change the applied measures." BORGE ESCORTED BY AUTHORITIES TO VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 17th August 2017 03:42
- Keywords: Panama former Quintana Roo governor Roberto Borge corruption allegations extradition Panama City detention
- Location: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- City: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- Country: Panama
- Topics: Crime/Law/Justice,Crime
- Reuters ID: LVA0016SLQ05F
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A former Mexican state governor from President Enrique Pena Nieto's Institutional Revolutionary Party will remain jailed in Panama until he is extradited to his home country where he is wanted on corruption charges, a Panamanian judge said on Wednesday (August 02).
Roberto Borge, who was governor until last year of the state of Quintana Roo, the home to tourist resort Cancun, was detained in early June at the Panama City airport with the aid of Interpol as he was preparing to board a flight to Paris. Mexico's attorney general's office has accused Borge of using resources obtained through illegal means, embezzlement and abuse of public office.
Appeals court judge Mauricio Marin said there were enough reasons "to order a formal arrest of Mr. Roberto Borge Angulo," denying him bail. Borge and his attorney declined to make any statements following the hearing.
Two other former Mexican governors from the ruling PRI party, Tomas Yarrington of Tamaulipas and Javier Duarte of Veracruz state, were arrested this year and accused of corruption. An arrest warrant was issued earlier this year for the PRI's former governor in Chihuahua state, Cesar Duarte, for suspected embezzlement.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None