- Title: Venezuela's constituent assembly to hold first session
- Date: 4th August 2017
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) VICTORIA RODRIGUEZ, SUPPORTER OF PRESIDENT NICOLAS MADURO, SAYING: "We invite you to unite and go out and support this revolutionary government that, with the National Constituent Assembly come to demand all these proposals that haven't arrived to the government to include them in the National Constituent Assembly in a new constitution, to include the missions and to include all those demands of the revolutionary government."
- Embargoed: 18th August 2017 18:01
- Keywords: government supporters rally as constituent assembly installation begins
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Lawmaking,Government/Politics
- Reuters ID: LVA0046SQRWP3
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Venezuelan government supporters rallied outside parliament on Friday (August 4) as the newly-elected members of the Constituent Assembly entered to be sworn in.
The Constituent Assembly is authorized by the government of leftist President Nicolas Maduro to expand his powers.
Governments from Spain to Canada to Argentina have spoken out against the assembly and the United States imposed sanctions on OPEC member Venezuela, which is grappling with a political and economic crisis.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None