- Title: "I saw two soldiers on ground', witness recounts after Paris suburb car attack
- Date: 9th August 2017
- Summary: LEVALLOIS-PERRET, FRANCE (AUGUST 9, 2017) (REUTERS) POLICE CARS NEAR AREA WHERE FRENCH SOLDIERS WERE HIT AND INJURED BY A VEHICLE POLICE SEEN THROUGH CAR WINDOW MILITARY NEAR AREA WHERE FRENCH SOLDIERS WERE HIT AND INJURED BY A VEHICLE (SOUNDBITE) (French) 45-YEAR-OLD HOTEL HOUSEKEEPER WHO HAS LIVED IN LEVALLOIS-PERRET FOR 15 YEARS, NADIA LEPROHON, SAYING: "This morning around eight a.m. (0600GMT) I heard a dull noise and when I went out on my balcony I saw two soldiers on the ground and other soldiers shouting everywhere. There was a man out there, a witness, who was saying 'it's a car, it went that way, it went that way, follow it, follow it, run after it!'" POLICE OFFICERS WALKING BY POLICE CARS (SOUNDBITE) (French) 45-YEAR-OLD HOTEL HOUSEKEEPER WHO HAS LIVED IN LEVALLOIS-PERRET FOR 15 YEARS, NADIA LEPROHON, SAYING: "I thought it was an accident, honestly I thought it was an accident, since there have been works underway nearby, there were cranes, lots of things. And when I saw the soldiers on the ground I understood... I am telling you the truth, it's an attack or... because there were car fragments, apparently... the car was parked a distance away and rushed, rushed at the soldiers." POLICE TALKING TO WOMAN (SOUNDBITE) (French) 45-YEAR-OLD HOTEL HOUSEKEEPER WHO HAS LIVED IN LEVALLOIS-PERRET FOR 15 YEARS, NADIA LEPROHON, SAYING: "I saw two bodies, two soldiers on the ground. One was in a really bad way and the other one was wounded." MILITARY OFFICERS TALKING, ONE ON THE PHONE MILITARY NEAR AREA WHERE FRENCH SOLDIERS WERE HIT AND INJURED BY A VEHICLE
- Embargoed: 23rd August 2017 11:38
- Keywords: witness to soldier attack Paris Paris suburb Levallois-Perret France soldiers car ramming soldiers car hitting soldiers
- Location: LEVALLOIS-PERRET, FRANCE
- City: LEVALLOIS-PERRET, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,International/National Security
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TFQJIF
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A woman living in Levallois-Perret near the scene where French soldiers were hit and injured by a car on Wednesday (August 9), said she heard a dull noise and saw two soldiers on the ground, one who she described as in a "really bad way".
The BMW rammed into a group of soldiers as they left their barracks, the Parisian suburb's mayor Patrick Balkany said, injuring six before speeding off in what officials identified as a suspected terrorist attack.
The soldiers hit were rushed to hospital and police said two of the six were seriously injured.
The incident follows a string of Islamist-inspired attacks on soldiers and police, who have been deployed in large numbers nationwide after calls by militant group Islamic State for attacks on France and other countries bombing its strongholds in Syria and Iraq.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None