- Title: Venezuelans step up protests against prosecution of opposition politicians
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: CARACAS, VENEZUELA (AUGUST 12, 2017) (REUTERS) DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING ON A CARACAS THOROUGHFARE SOLDIERS STANDING ON AN OVERPASS AS DEMONSTRATORS MARCH BELOW DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING UP LETTER SIGNS CALLING FOR PEACEFUL PROTESTS MORE OF DEMONSTRATORS HOLDING UP SIGNS VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING WITH LARGE VENEZUELAN FLAG VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING DEMONSTRATORS MARCHING WITH PICTURES OF RAMON MUCHACHO, OPPOSITION MAYOR OF THE WEALTHY CHACAO DISTRICT OF CARACAS (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEMONSTRATOR, ALBERTO TRUJILLO, SAYING: "We are here today to demonstrate against the arbitrary dismissal of mayors in the Caracas metropolitan area who were unjustly removed from their offices and subjected to a judicial process which lacks the elementary principles of equity and most of all, due process." PEOPLE MARCHING WITH ORANGE T-SHIRTS FEATURING OPPOSITION LEADER, LEOPOLDO LOPEZ MORE OF PEOPLE DEMONSTRATING VARIOUS OF DEMONSTRATORS WITH SIGNS FOR MUCHACHO (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) DEMONSTRATOR, ANA MARIA MARCANO, SAYING: "They removed, just as they've been doing dictatorially and arbitrarily, our mayors and governors from around the country, obviously those who are in the opposition to this regime which is a dictatorship." MORE OF PEOPLE DEMONSTRATING
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 20:26
- Keywords: Ramon Muchacho mayor of the wealthy Chacao district Nicolas Maduro demonstrations protest
- Location: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- City: CARACAS, VENEZUELA
- Country: Venezuela
- Topics: Conflicts/War/Peace,Civil Unrest
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TUPC93
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text:Hundreds of Venezuelans took to the streets of Caracas on Saturday (August 12) to protests against the prosecution of opposition politicians.
Those prosecuted by the Supreme Court include Ramon Muchacho, mayor of the wealthy Chacao district of capital city Caracas. Protesters say the removal of Muchacho and other regional mayors from office lacks substance.
Demonstrators held up signs, carried flags and chanted slogans such as: "Venezuela. We want freedom!"
Last week, Washington imposed sanctions on eight Venezuelan officials for their role in creating an all-powerful legislative body loyal to President Nicolas Maduro, while a mayor-turned-fugitive called for more anti-government protests.
Muchacho appeared in a video shot from a secret location after the Supreme Court removed him from office and sentenced him to 15 months in prison last week for failing to halt anti-government protests in his district.
The Supreme Court also said last week via Facebook that it had sentenced David Smolansky of the El Hatillo district of Caracas to 15 months in prison, fired him from his post and ordered his arrest. Smolansky, the fifth mayor to face such sanctions this year, was also accused of defying an order to prevent opposition protests from blocking streets.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2017. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None