- Title: LGBT activists assaulted after rally in Russia
- Date: 12th August 2017
- Summary: ST. PETERSBURG, RUSSIA (AUGUST 12, 2017) (REUTERS) ****WARNING: CONTAINS PROFANITY*** LGBT ACTIVISTS IN FIELD OF MARS RAINBOW FLAG ACTIVISTS HOLDING POSTERS, POSTER IN CENTER READING (Russian): 'HOMOPHOBIA KILLS' VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS TYING RIBBONS MAN AND WOMAN WITH RAINBOW FLAG ON SHOULDERS TAKING SELFIE POLICE OFFICER TAKING PICTURES OF ACTIVIST WITH FLAG ACTIVISTS SITTING ON GRASS (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) LGBT ACTIVIST, SVETLANA, SAYING: "The current situation in our country makes me sad. People literally fight for the right to be themselves, although this is the only right given to us from birth. I think we should use any reasonable means to stand up for our rights. And in any case, we should not be afraid or embarrassed to go on a rally and claim our right for life as it should be." POLICE OFFICER, ACTIVISTS HOLDING RAINBOW FLAGS IN BACKGROUND, ANTI-GAY ACTIVIST HEARD OFF CAMERA SHOUTING (Russian): 'YOUR LOVE IS FILTHY' (CONTAINS PROFANITY) ANTI-GAY PROTESTER HOLDING POSTER READING (Russian): 'ASSIST PUTIN', SAYING (Russian): 'MOTHERLAND. FREEDOM. PUTIN. OUR PRESIDENT IS AGAINST FAGGOTS. AND WE ARE FOR HIM." MEN WATCHING RALLY (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) LGBT ACTIVIST, MARIA, SAYING: "Now we have more problems with the authorities (than before) - they do not allow anything (rallies) and occasionally detentions happen. I was detained at the day of silence (rally) two years ago. This was also an LGBT event. We were simply walking with tape on our mouths and we were giving out leaflets about homophobia victims. Many people got detained." ACTIVIST WITH RAINBOW UMBRELLA AND POSTER READING (Russian): 'HATRED PROPAGANDA - SHAME FOR THE COUNTRY' ACTIVISTS STRETCHING LONG RAINBOW FLAG, CHANTING (Russian): 'HOMOPHOBIA IS SHAME FOR ST. PETERSBURG' ACTIVISTS CHANTING (Russian): 'DOWN WITH VIOLENCE PROPAGANDA' VARIOUS OF ACTIVISTS CHANTING
- Embargoed: 26th August 2017 19:30
- Keywords: Russia LGBT Russia gay rally Russia gay rights gay pride
- Location: ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- City: ST PETERSBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Reuters ID: LVA0016TUP8AV
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CONTAINS PROFANE LANGUAGE
Several LGBT activists were assaulted after a peaceful rally in the centre of Russia's St Petersburg on Saturday (August 12).
A meeting in support of gay rights that took place in the Field of Mars near the city centre gathered around a hundred people and proceeded under protection of the police despite sporadic chants from anti-gay activists.
However, as the rally finished several unidentified men sprayed pepper gas in the faces of a group of activists and journalists in the street and ran away.
At least one of the victims was taken to hospital.
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None